lava rock install, help please!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by marko, Apr 25, 2005.

1. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Customer wants lava rock installed in her planting beds. I can not find anyone selling in bulk in my area. I can get the bags (31 lb) I think 1 cu ft. bags for $3.50 each. Is an estimation at 3" depth about 180 square feet of coverage per ton? I am planning on laying down a protective barrier then installing the stone. Any other advice for those installing this before? It will be the red color. Will/could heat be a problem? Thanks in advance

2. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I've installed some lava rock before. Nice stuff and always keeps its nice colour, or at least for the last 5 years up here it has. Heat shouldn't be an issue, after all, it is "lava rock".

3. marko

Thanks, they want a more permanate solution. I found a supplier for $110 a ton. Im worried about heat transfer to the plants around the rock on a hot summer day. I guess we will see. I'm going to start with a ton and see how it goes. Hopeing to get 160 - 180 sq feet coverage out of that at 3". Anyone know if that is about right?

4. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Use the same calculations you use to figure out mulch. There is a link I believe at the top of this forum or one of the others to get you a good idea. I'd have to feel the stones during the summer but I think, and I am only thinking back to memory on this one that stay quite cool.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Rock no matter what kind it is is always hotter than bark mulch,depends upon reflection,ect.Havent seen problems with it but haven't ever seen a red lava rock job I like either though.

6. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, $110 a ton sounds like a good deal. I'm going to be starting a lava rock job today and I'm paying $89 a yard. The supplier used to sell it by the ton but changed to the yard. He told me that two yards was about equal to a ton. I think you'll be safe with you coverage rate.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No NO lava rock weighs alot less than regular rock,so he's ripping you off if he's telling you that about lava rock.$89.00 a yard you are getting twice ripped off.It's $48.00 retail here and CA is the highest of most states for rock.I pay 43.00 my price.he is selling it by the yard so he does not have to weigh it ,when he sold it by the ton,he couldent get away with chargeing that outrageous price

8. marko

$110 is not bad from what I found for a ton. Home depot 1 cu ft bags are $3.50 each so that would equal $94.50 per cubic yard. I have heard that there is suppose to be 1350 - 1800 lbs per cubic yard of this material. I saw a web site in Washington that sells for $45 per ton

http://www.palmercc.com/lavarock.htm

9. marko

I hear you there. I dont like it either and tried to change their minds to no avail.

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

does rock really need to be 3" deep????