Lava Rock Install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by AllProLC, Mar 17, 2007.

1. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

Have been asked to quote Lava Rock installation for client. Does anybody have any prior exp. with these? Install price, coverage,etc..
  2. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Ask your supplier they should be able to tell you how much area it covers. As for price, my guess is lava rock would go down just about as easily as mulch maybe a little more difficult because of the rigid edges ont he rock. But it is also almost as light as mulch. Just a guess though.

P.S. I no longer touch lava rock period (maybe if someone actually wanted it I might) because Iw orked on a golf course that had it around the entire massive clubhouse. We removed it all from the landscape beds one summer ( I never wanted to touch it again because it is so hideous!!!!!!!!!)
  3. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Lava rocks cost over $110 a yard here (rocks only - no labor). I have installed it for a customer and it cost big bucks. It isnt any harder than mulch though. Make sure you include weed block fabric under the rocks. It is nice because it makes the landscape relatively maintenance free. Charge a lot for it.
  4. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

About $110/yard here too.
  5. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

$90 CDN here. I love the stuff. It really saves the back, when you have to wheelbarrow 5 yards to the site. :)
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

use something else, lava rock is a royal pain. Its to light to stay in place and if you ever have to blow it out forget it.
  7. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Lava rock is bad choice.
    But the way I quote rock install is by the sq. ft.
    I can get loose rock or in 2 sq ft bags.
    I prefer the bags I charge double the bag price.
    A few customers freak at the price but I tell them its labor intense and they can do it themselves if they like and you will save exactly 1/2 price.
  8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

How much lava rock are you thinking about? How large is the area and what will the area be used for?

9. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

Meeting w/ client today @ 1pm to discuss/measure job. Will let you know, thanks.
  10. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

Dreams To Designs, just measured lava rock job. 1600 sq. ft. area to be covered in rock. Any suggestions.... they are tired of adding mulch every yr. Going to be expensive!!