1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Law against rear discharge decks for zero turn mowers????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The_Duk, Jun 2, 2010.

1. The_Duk

The_Duk LawnSite Member

i just tried to call and get a price on a rear discharge deck for my mower and i was told that they couldn't sell it here in the states because of a federal law...... i've never heard of anything like that... anyone else?? anyways, i can't get one...

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

i think that dealer smokes something. post this in the hustler thread to see what pj says

3. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a new one. I know Deere's 997 ZTR has a rear discharge option, as do their front mowers. Most of the 3pt finish mowers for tractors are rear discharge. If anything they are safer than side discharge because there is less of a chance to throwing something at someone or something. There used to be one guy from Australia and another from England on here and they had said that because of safety issues that's all they used there.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm guessing the law exists to keep people from hurting themselves or others.

5. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats horshit. Grasshopper makes and sells one too.

6. mowguynky

mowguynky LawnSite Member
    from KY

I could understand the no rear discharge on a regular push mower. I would think a rear discharge on any riding mower would be good. Afterall, I doubt anybody is standing where I just mowed.

7. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I used one on my Toro 117 Groundsmaster. It did a great job of filling up the engine compartment with grass clippings. Plus the fins on the engine got clogged up. Now on a hot day when all those clippings are really dry,,, what could happen with a hot engine? Fire?

8. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

That's exactly what came to mind as soon as I started visualizing a rear discharge rider that has an engine in the rear. My eXmark sucks up enough dry clippings and debris into the fan shroud as it is. I can't imagine what it would look like if clippings (especially dry grass and dry leaves) are thrown backwards instead of out to the side.

9. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as rock throwing lyability. Rear discarge decks are 100% safer then side discharge decks. That makes so sense to me. As far as a fire hazard, the clipings are thrown under the engine. A rear discharge deck has half the grass buildup around the engine comaprtment that a side discharge has. I would call a few more dealrs and see if your dealer is missinformed.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

ever watch a bush hog run with a rear discharge....