1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lgi, Feb 5, 2004.

1. lgi

lgi LawnSite Member

so does the law ever get on you about were you park or any thing:mad:
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Never have, hopefully they never will. As long as they know we are out working and aren't parked in the middle of a busy intersection I don't think they care.
  3. lgi

lgi LawnSite Member

yea i thing your right we are out there workin are ass off
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

if they are bored they will. Or maybe they are just trying to be big bad cops, but it does happen every once in a while.
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

No but a postal lady did. I always try not to park in front of the mail boxes but this one street has them so close together its hard when you have a long rig, so we try to schedule those yards in the afternoon as they usually deliver mail in morning. Well, this one afternoon we were mowing and went mowing the back yards. When we came back around front I noticed my safety cone was flat as a pancake and this sticker pasted to my rear veiw mirror stating that its unlawfull to block mail boxes. Ive seen that postal lady before and she has an attitude of a badger. Only wish I could have seen her having her nervous breakdown that afternoon. :blob2:
  6. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have had Only one proplem in 5 years while the truck was parked. we got fined for parking 2 close to the stop sign. Now I have had guys get speeding tickets and a couple of wrecks but that crap happens
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

all I can saw is postal is picky, very picky
  8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Around here we lco's don't get a change to get in trouble - we are too busy working. One of the lco's is a "p/t lco & p/t cop and another lco is p/t lco p/t fire man. This helps alot!
  9. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I forgot to measure a commercial prop for an install today. I remembered at 10 pm tonight. So I was running around the prop with my maglight and measure wheel. I come around the corner copper was standing there. I kept on walking looking where I was going as I passes him I nodded and did the "Sup" and kept on going.

He was not amused. I was standing there with a measuring wheel, notepad, flashlight, and a company truck 20' away with the
    lights on. With him asking stupid questions.

I think it was obvious what I was doing.
    I told him I forgot to measure this today and I need to get it done.

He was more concerned about the fact that a Landscaper was still working a 10pm.

He must of been bored.
  10. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, thats it, boredom. 10 at night and your D*@b a$$ is running around in a back yard with a flashlight. How dare that Copper stop and inconvienence you. Or how dare that next door neighbor who sees someone in the neighbors yard with a flashlight call the Police.

And how dare he ask you a stupid question after you walk by him and say "sup" and continue on your way, talk about being disrespected.

I'd hate to think that asking you something like "why" or "How come" your out here at this time of night doing this is someway a stupid question not an investigative one.

One thing I learned from being a cop is nothing is as it seems and never take anything for granted. Case in point.

Last summer similar situation, drive by and see a light (about 930 pm) moving around in a back yard. Get out and there is xyz Lawn Co. truck, sitting there idleling with its parking lights on (odd I think to myself) but since it's not obvious to me I decide to INVESTIGATE.

I jump the guy as he's coming out of the back yard who in turn drops a bag full of Snap on tools. He informs me that he's the foreman for xyz (only truth he told) and he had left some tools at this residents home. Possible I think, but unlikley, so I ask him some more "stupid" questions which makes me even more suspicious. So I throw the bracelets on him (to old to chase anyone) and wake the home owner. Home owner says "What lawn service, I cut my own grass."

A little more INVESTIGATION finds the unattached shop in the back has a busted door and what was later determinedtobe about $1500 in tools taken.

Oh yeah, he was a foreman but seemed to have a little side job at night.

And because I was CONCERNED with this lawn guy working at 930 pm he ended up getting 5 years where his side job now is making license plates.

But I agee... He was bored.