lawed singed by hot mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by anthony, May 13, 2002.

1. anthony

anthony Guest

got a call to day to take a look at some spots on lawns that i treat. pulled up and there were brown spots along the walk 3 foot in...i explained to the homeowner that i may be form the mowers not disease or from my applications...i think it is mower singe (heat from the hot muffler pipe-when the guys spot to dump it singes that area)
    what do you guys think? any problems like this?
    anthony

2. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

I have yet to have to turn my mower upside down to empty it. That is about the only way my muffler will hit the ground. But that could be something I have yet to see. I see new things every day.

Can you elaborate on the application that you made?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're thinking that the mower guys are stopping tp empty their mowers out, then there's a high probability that it could be chemical burn fro spilled gas, too. You don't HAVE to turn the mower very far to spill gas.

4. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

maybe im confused, but i dont, understand how stopping to dump would cause the muffler to singe the grass. explain further please
    (or for that matter, how gasoline would spill out of the tank while dumping.)

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, I wasn't really talking about dumping baggers. I somehow just got this vision of some guys flipping their mower up to clean the spinach out from underneath the deck (that's how it's been around here:rolleyes: ) and gas spilling out of the gascap. As far as the muffler goes, I don't know:confused: . Doesn't Lawnboys have their exhaust dump out the bottom of their deck, though?

6. The customer recognized it because he'd singed some grass before. His mower discharged the exhaust directly toward the ground. If he went very slow or stopped he said he had to idle the enging down or burn the grass. My mower exhausts out the back so I singed the shrubs. I measured the height. It was my mower that singed his shrubbery.

Dave

7. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I had a scag that did this same thing. It was driving me crazy. It was always around the edges of the lawn where we stopped to empty grass at the end of a row. I thought at first that there was a gas leak or a hydro leak. I guess that on the deck cover of this walk behind, they didn't include the section of metal on the back of the cover which is right below the muffler. Between the engine deck and the cutting deck, there is a space where heat from the muffler can reach the ground below. My dealer welded an extra piece and the problem was solved.
    Weird eh?
    Hope this helps.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My old (1982) Toro 21" SP rear bagger mower has a 4hp Tecumseh :( engine and it exhausts out the bottom similar to a LawnBoy. If it gives me any troubles, I will just rerout it outside the deck. But i've not heard anything about this problem with LawnBoys, even though there's alot of them around here.
    Good luck,
    Eric

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen this from my Walker if it is in the summer and I stay in one spot for more than a few minutes. I think the muffler heats the grass below it. I have not seen this in the wet spring growth. I think you have lots of possibilities to consider.