Lawn accident kills local guy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EGL&L, Oct 22, 2005.

1. EGL&L

EGL&L LawnSite Member

The following article appeared in this mornings local paper. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

A Keedysville man who ran a lawn mowing business was found dead, trapped under a lawn mower, Wednesday night at a customer's house, Washington County Sheriff's Department Cpl. Roy Harsh said.
    Stephen Jerome Florian, 45, of Red Hill Road, was found after 10 p.m. trapped under a Steiner lawn mower, an older model, mid-sized riding lawn mower, over a steep embankment at 18868 Keedysville Road, Harsh said.
    The man's wife told police she guessed the accident occurred between noon and 1 p.m. She reported Florian missing at 10:11 p.m. because he didn't show up at a school function he said he would attend.
    Deputies "went to where he was supposed to be mowing grass" and found him dead, Harsh said.
    Florian was cutting the grass for the owners of the Keedysville Road house, who live in Silver Spring, Md., Harsh said.
    A medical examiner was called to examine Florian's body, Harsh said. Florian's body then was sent to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Truely sad, and it sounds like he left a wife and kid(s).
    Be careful on the wet hills, all.
  3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

What a teribble thing to happen to someone...I wish his family the best of luck dealing with their loss.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

At the risk of seeming insensitive, I'll point out that when it comes to slope work, there is no substitute for common sense. I'll also admit that I've run risks where that's concerned. We all know it's dangerous.
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

What a shame, I feel for his family.
  6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

And I've seen a lot of comments where people don't like ROP's. Make's you wonder doesn't it....
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Noboby uses the R.O.P.S in my area, but I folded my up and put the seat belt on just the other day, sometimes it's better safe then sorry.
  8. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

noob to this stuff...what is a "r.o.p.s"?
  9. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

roll over protection. its a bar that runs over the top of the mowing unit.
  10. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to see someone else posted this one before I had the chance (certainly not glad it happened though). But it's good to see that you guys are being aware of these tragedies with concern and consider it important to keep everyone informed. Hopefully we can all learn by others mistakes.