1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Aeration Services

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass Gator, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

Greetings All -

We're looking at adding lawn aeration to our service offerings in 2005 and wanted to get some idea on pricing for such work. Do you all charge by the hour, sq. foot, etc? Also, do you remove the cores from the property all together or leave to dissolve back into the soil?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We used to bust ours up but if you go with a hydro injection model you wont have any cores. The one we had was a towable Toro with open spoons and weights. Deere brought out hydro jet model and encouraged us to look at shooting Terrasorb ( the finer granule type) when we did our aerations. I left not long after that so I don't know if they bought it. Demo worked well though.
  3. bsmithalc

bsmithalc LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

we usually charge double the mowing price depending on hill and obstacles.

we also leave the cores on the turf unless owner specifically wants them removed
  4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

We charge $12 per 1,000 sq. ft. We sometimes charge $10 per K if we run a special. We also charge $12 per K extra if they want seed.

If you are going to price by what you charge for mowing. Then you would come closer by charging 3x.

We don't do anything with the cores.
  5. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

We charge by the sqft and no we do not remove the plugs
  6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's around $35 here YES i said $35 but that because mile-HI aeration owns the area they bring in about 25-mil a year on ONLY aerations. But it's very profitable. Most lawns here are 2-3ksf so u can get em done i about 20-30 mins. I got my aerator preowned from Matt (walker-talker) thenaks matt. I also think he has one currently. I paid for it in a week.
  7. Soupy

25 million a year doing $35 aerations. I highly doubt that. they would have to do 714,285 aerations a year.

It would cost the home owner more to do it theirself.
  8. lawncare3

Considering there is 5k houses per 2 miles. They cover about 50miles with other areas having as much as 10,000 houses in a 3mile radius. and the list goes on and on. All I know is about every 3rd house has their sign in the yard. They hire a bunch of people that use their own vehicles and a company trailer and aerator. each crew roughly (30) each do 35-40 aerations a day. Get paid $15 a hour and use their gas and go and do em. Ask anyone around here and they can tell what a pricing problem they have caused. And about every 3rd house has their sign in the yard. I just telling you my calculations because that what my friend said (he use to work for them. Now I am only telling you what I have seen and heard I will end now. :)
  9. lawncare3

Btw yes it does cost the homeowner more to do it themself. That's why they hire Mile-HI aeration. I will try and post one of their fliers if I get a chance.
  10. Soupy

I guess at that price everyone would have it done. Probably twice a year too. just think, if they raised their price to $40 they would make an extra 3.5 million. I still find it hard to believe.