lawn aeration

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by greentop, Feb 19, 2006.

1. greentop

greentop LawnSite Member

would it be worthwhile to start a lawn aeration business? i know it's only for a few months a year, but could be a profitable part time business if the customers are "there". all i want to do is aerate and maybe do some seeding.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, It is very profitable, But you will still need work the rest of the year,

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pofitable for one city may not be for another over saturated aerator business city. Rent first to gauge the market if you can make decent money of not.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Just aeration? MY opinion, no. Aeration, overseeding, thatch management, etc. Possiblly. A total turf management company, yes.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

aeriation is only one step in the process fo lawn maintance.... i get my customers from my mowing route... and i think most companies do...

6. greentop

greentop LawnSite Member

i was just thinking, many people rent aerators, but like to do their own seeding and mowing and i know renting can be a hassle for some. i think the rental here is about $50 for 2 hrs, i would certainly pay someone that amount instead of renting, my lawn is very small and no grass in the backyard.

7. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Anybody ever use aerating as a marketing tool? Say, advertise for aerating then try to pick up the mowing and everything else? Trying to get another 15-20 accounts this spring so I need to know what I should do. Thanks!

8. LB1234

Paying someone $50 for two hours and renting a machine $50 for two hours are two completely different things. If I have to spend two hours on our aerator for one property I'm going to get close to a grand.

9. LHLAWN

LHLAWN LawnSite Member

Hey LB how do you price your aerating? Time , sq ft ??? :waving:

10. LB1234

I try and get somewhere between 9-12 per 1k square foot. It really depends on many factors...sprinkler heads to avoid, straight runs, closeness to other clients, existing customer.

So a 20k square foot lawn (serviceable, not property size) I'll try and get around 200-225 for it. It also depends on what other services they are getting with it...overseeding, starter fertilizer, dethatch???