Lawn Aerators

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by inspector1, Mar 21, 2014.

1. inspector1

inspector1 LawnSite Member

If I am posting in the wrong thread, please let me know. I want to know about the Plugr 815. I am in Cleveland Ohio, where the lawns have been damp over the last few falls and springs. I can purchase the Plugr 815 for a lot less compared to the newer Ryan's, but does the Plugr 815 self propel itself up damp lawns w/an incline as minimal as 20 degrees. My 20 year old Ryan Lawn Aire IV is a monster going up hills, but it is slow. Since time is money, does anyone suggest my purchasing the Plugr 815 or a new Ryan that meets my needs.

2. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Intrested to know also, about to purchase an aerator. Looking at the ryan lawnaire V

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

The only Plugr that will propel its self up/down a loading ramp is the current PL855 or the older generation 850's.

The rest of the Plugr line aerators are propelled by the cam action pushing the unit forward as the machine aerates. So...it will be a push/pull event unless the tines are actually cycling in the turf.

My $0.02 is spend the extra $ on the 855.

4. inspector1

Thanks for taking the time to help a guy out E.R. I will look into the 855.

5. inspector1

6. Exact Rototilling

Yes. The front wheels are hydro powered forward and reverse. Just like the older 850.

I have not used the 855 but the maintence is simplified. The older 850's have a fair amount of fiddle factor but still a solid machine. The larger tire diameter on the 855 will help with traction/foot print etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. The Turf Guys

The Turf Guys LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I love my 855 and would never go back to a standard rotary like a bluebird or a ryan.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Now my Ryan V will pull its self up and down a ramp

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Buy it I love all my Ryan V pluggers You can turn them on a dime

10. Exact Rototilling

I'm going to level with all of you. Yeah the Plugr 800 series, old school Ryan 28 reciprocating will all pull more plugs but will your clients care...? It does make a difference for the lawn and I have had some clients gripe the one year I suddenly showed up with the Lawn Solutions unit. If fact I lost a client over that.

Every year I will aerate next to a lawn aerated by a standard unit and the plug litter on the lawn is pretty light even with a double pass with a rolling tine unit when compared to a single pass with my PL850's...it looks like Geese went wild.
    Posted via Mobile Device