Lawn Aerators

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by inspector1, Mar 21, 2014.

1. inspector1

inspector1 LawnSite Member

Then it's settled, going to buy an 855. Thanks again for your input E.R.

2. inspector1

Thanks for your input on the 855

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Pluggr has a new series, 835 I think. It has variable speed. check that one out as well.

4. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

how much do these run?

5. inspector1

Thanks regarding the 835? sjessen. I will look into that one as well.

6. inspector1

Question, aeration is done in spring or fall because it's growing season and lawns are supposed to be damp. Up here in Cleveland, Ohio we have been having very rainy springs and falls, when it does stop raining in the spring, temps jump to 70 degrees, harden soil and my rotary driven Ryan Lawnaire IV can't pull deep plugs. From what I have read, the cam driven aerators can pull 2 to 2.75 inch plugs from dry, hard soil. Given that to be true, has anyone expanded their aeration season in to the hot summer months? If so, have your customers been happy w/the results? I ask because that means if I buy a cam driven aerator, I can start aerating in late summer, before fall and all the rain comes, and conversely, I can aerate in the hot summer months, after the rainy spring.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

With cam driven machines there is also a shortening of the plug effect. If lawns are already drought stressed and showing signs of lack of water....bad idea to aerate since you are opening up the soil more for further drying.

If a lawn has resoanbly good stand of grass "canopy effect" [think rain forest] and it's mowed higher and lawn doesn't have to be watered everyday...you can aerate any time of year.

I have not been able to do as many aerations this year as I would of liked to since we had a tad colder and dryer Spring...and now we have transitioned into summer weather already with no real rain.

Aerations simply work bundled into a fert program. Eachbpassing year I do fewer and fewer standalone aerations. Folks get impatient if it is not done on specific date or week. Most of my late Spring season aerations are on hold until condtions improve.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. inspector1

Thanks ER. I am not suggesting aerating during drought. Like you said, bad idea. I was thinking since a cam driven aerator pounds into the soil, unlike a rotary which uses it's own weight to pull plugs, a cam driven aerator would extend aeration season because as the lawns dry, it will pull good plugs when a rotary is no longer useful.

9. A1 Lawn Aeration

A1 Lawn Aeration LawnSite Member

I have a plugr 835 for sale
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. olajoe808

olajoe808 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5b

Have to level with you guys. It's not the aerator, it's how you use it.