1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

lawn after grading

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fordnut, Apr 17, 2007.

  1. fordnut

    fordnut LawnSite Member
    Posts: 65

    First job like this. A couple just built a house and they had 15 loads of dirt delivered. The yard is approx. 3/4 acres. They asked me if I could get the yard graded and plant seed. Should I get a soil test for the newly delievered dirt? Also after grading what would you recommend using to level the yard in preparation for the seed i.e. section drag or lightly discing?
  2. Ric3077

    Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,113

    Use a bobcat or a dingo to grade it, the soil should be fine unless they had FILL delivered instead of topsoil. Use 15 lbs of seed per 1000 sq ft for new lawns

    FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 981

    Harley Rake
  4. fordnut

    fordnut LawnSite Member
    Posts: 65

    thanks for the info. I will be subbing out the grading, I dont have a tractor.I will be using my atv to pull whatever I use, thats why I mentioned a sectiondrag or something similiar.this might sound silly but whats a harley rake? thanks
  5. nobagger

    nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa
    Posts: 3,065

    A Harley Rake is a stiff curved thick tine unit that you pull behind a good sized tractor, usually used for leveling and breaking up soil. We do all kinds of installs and we use a skidsteer and feather out the edges by hand. You might have to get it Rockhounded before your final grade. A Rockhound will sift through the soil and gather all the rocks left in the fill dirt. As far as the soil goes, unless its a lot of clay you should be ok, but if its crappy dirt your gonna need top soil.

    FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 981

    I don't think you're describing a Harley Rake, at least one I've ever used.

    I think you're referring to a simple landscape rake:
    This is a Harley Rake, other manufacturers make similar attachments. Made for either skids or tractors:

Share This Page