Lawn and landscape magazine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wissel_landscaping, Jun 27, 2003.

1. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I just received my july copy of lawn and landscape mag.
    which i enjoy reading until this issue. theres a artical on page 36 Language Lesson on how a lco is offering a spanish job application for spanish employees. then on page 94 another artical called Easy H-2B right of the bat the artical reads landscape co. across the country are discovering a south-of-the-border solution to thier staffing problems. Through the H-2B program, contractors can hire forein workers and bring them into the United States with completely legal working papers.
    there are also a couple of other ads on mexican labor to me this is bull ****. I worked for a LCO had just over 10 years in and me and 20 other guys were let go so the LCO could hire mexicans at half what they were paying us all of us had car payments kids to feed but the LCO didnt care. to me these south of the border workers are cut throats taking jobs from the american people let them find there own work in mexico. I cant believe that good help is so hard to find that LCO's have to import there workers from mexico. here in Ohio there is more and more LCO's hiring mexicans, when i talk to other co. one of the first questions they ask is how many mexicans do you have. that really pisses me off
    back when i did concrete the unions made sure to keep the cut throats out i think that LCO's should do the same. i cant believe lawn and landscape mag. endorses this, well this will be my last issue of there mag. sorry so long this just really pisses me off.

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Wissel landscaping- sorry you are upset, but this problem isn't going away. The reason they are here is because THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR THEM TO GET IN MEXICO. That is why they are here, and that is why they are going to keep coming.

If I didn't hire Hispanic workers, I would have no workforce. What, I'm going to rely on American kids who have zero work ethic and would rather party or sit in front of the TV? They work for a week or two and stop showing up? Sorry friend, been there, done that, not going to happen again.

Times are changing, you can either adapt or get run over by your competition. Don't blame L&L for endorsing it, they are adapting to the times.

By the way, my grandparents were first generation from Italy, they took whatever work they could find, the worst jobs, and people looked down on them like they were the lowest form of life. I see that as being the same as the Hispanic workers now trying to make a better life for themselves.

3. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

No LCO would let go 20 "GOOD" employees Mexican or otherwise! So read into to that what you will.

4. Ditto.

Upset or not, they are here to fill the labor shortage the USA has.

I adapted to the times. It's not the amount they are payed, it's the work ethics, and production they produce.

5. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

ditto to the above posts. like it or not most americans are lazy. I'm going to mexican labor force next year myself

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Although i know French well, im still taking Spanish classes for one reason. Take a guess why. If i ever have the need for employees, they will definately be hispanic.

7. AL Inc,
    The difference between your grand parents,my parents is: they eventually became part of the great tax system that most of love to pay into.

Most of the guys don't have any interest in setting roots in our soil. They just want to make money here, build there house, support their families and eventually live like kings south of the border.

I don't have a problem with any immigrant doing a job that 98% of Americans don't want to do because it's dirty, smelly etc..

The problems i have:
    No intention of paying into the system or becoming part of the system.

As to what was originally posted about the hiring of Hispanics over American born: I'm in business to make a profit, so if I can get a guy that can produce the same that a higher paid person is doing at a cheaper rate, why not go with the cheaper cost person.

Before anybody says something, our family has Hispanics that have been with my dad's and uncles companies over 15 years, and my main guy over 10.
    John

8. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Well guys I'm going to here it but, I'm going to say it any way. yes most of the young people in America today are lazy and don't want to work. That I'll agree and, most if they do show up aren't dependable. That being said I for one disagree about Hispanics most of them where I'm at are illegal and don't deal in anything but, cash, duh! I wonder why that is? They under cut you and the rest of it that goes along with being scrubs. If they want to come over here and, learn our language and, be Americans then so be it. I will not hire them, no matter how good of workers they are,I worked fourteen years seven months sixteen days and was laid off permantlly and, the company kept some Hispanics that were not even legal, and it was tough stuff for me. I was born in this country I ought to have a job before an illegal immigrant.

9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Why?
    After fiftyeight (that's right 58) employees in two years - not counting those I employed on a golf course, amigos are here to stay.
    If it weren't for mexicans, I wouldn't have a company.
    I employee, currently, three mexicans, and one chicano.
    Most profitable I have EVER been.
    Hire white (gringo's) again - maybe, but that is a big maybe.
    Replace what I have now - not by my choice.
    As far as the border patrol - and this may result in my being banned - leave me the hell alone!!!!!
    You don't like it - then come down here to 110* plus days with high humidity and see how long YOU last!

10. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Anybody see anything wrong with all the jobs that we are sending to Mexico and then we turn around and here come all the damn Mexicans over the fence looking for a decent paying job. What does that say?