Lawn application routing and scheduling?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by barefoot, Jul 3, 2004.

1. barefoot

barefoot LawnSite Member

To all you business owners out their that employ more than one applicator, could you share with us all how your day to day routing and scheduling is handled within your company.

Do your applicators plan their own days/months, or is all routing and scheduling done by office staff?

Do you work from route lists and hand written invoices on a preprinted form, or do you work from pre printed 3 part invoices.

If you have applicators that may live hours away from the office, or even in the neighboring state, how do you handle the problems that creates.

We are currently using QXpress for all our scheduling.

We work from preprinted 3 part invoices. At the beginning of each round, all invoices are printed and given to applicators. Invoice has a job history for last 6 applications, and applicators plan their own days/months.

I feel however as though this may have limitations as we expand further from head office as all our applicators currently live within a short drive.

All advice and comments appreciated. :D

2. Wow you asked a lot of questions, but first let me complement you on your choice of a very handsome nickname. I am not sure if I understand your questions, but I will do my best.

""could you share with us all how your day to day routing and scheduling is handled within your company."

We use Microsoft Access to track accounts and applications, and then sort them for service, then we use Microsoft Mappoint to build daily routes.

"Do your applicators plan their own days/months, or is all routing and scheduling done by office staff?"

We assign routes, but we keep the same applicator in a specific territory. But we are small enough where we can do that, if we where larger, then applicators probably would need to do their own routing.

"If you have applicators that may live hours away from the office, or even in the neighboring state, how do you handle the problems that creates."

Can't help you here, we all totally local.

"We are currently using QXpress for all our scheduling."

We looked at that, but we rejected it because our administrative and operational practice is very streamlined, and we would have had to modify our key competitive advantage (our efficiency) in order to use QXpress. Once we compared the cost of having a recent college grad work part time for the summer, customize some of Microsoft's Office applications, (Word, Access, Mappoint) for us, they looked to be about the same.

"We work from preprinted 3 part invoices. At the beginning of each round, all invoices are printed and given to applicators. Invoice has a job history for last 6 applications, and applicators plan their own days/months. "

That sounds very cumbersome, but if it works for you then that's all that really matters, we use a single 8.5" x 11" pre-printed invoices that we print on them what we need and do our work and handle billing off of that. We print invoices as they are assigned to be completed.

If you have more questions feel free to email me.

3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

www.realgreen.com

their lawn assistant 3 software will do all that you have asked....except for the employee travel time

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi barefoot,

Just a thought, do your techs that live a distance away from you have a fax machine maybe that you could fax them their daily or weekly schedule? Maybe even email it to them?

5. barefoot

barefoot LawnSite Member

Team Gopher,

I would like to know more about the email option.

As we are using 3 part inoices ie. Truckcopy, Customercopy & Remittanceslip, I would like to know if gopher would enable us to email these invoices to an employee as a file which they could then print up at their end.

This may be a solution to head office having to express post invoices to employees that may live hours from head office.

Daniel Corry
    Barefoot Lawn Care

6. Team Gopher

from -

Hi barefoot,

Right now you could email your invoices to a customer or something else you could consider is emailing your staff the actual scheduling database.

They could then print their schedule out and even print out invoices from their remote office.

7. barefoot

barefoot LawnSite Member

Team Gopher,

Sounds great. Would each employee need a copy of gopher on their computer. Could be expensive if we had to buy many copies of gopher.

This would be a great time saver.

Daniel Corry
    Barefoot Lawn Care

8. Team Gopher

from -

Hi barefoot,

Sent you a PM.

If you choose to do this, I would really like to hear how much this positively effects your company's productivity level once it is all up and running.