Lawn Apps.....info?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SprinklerGuy, Oct 30, 2001.

1. This lawn application business idea is rolling around in my head now.....I just did a search on markup and found that someone had said the best business model they could see right now was a sprinkler repair/lawn app business. I have been considering this for awhile now and this has helped confirm it.

Question is.....where would a person go to learn this sort of thing...Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

Hey SSI, one of the best ways to learn about apps, is actually through your state licensing program. Buying the studyguide and workbook will help you learn the fundamentals of apps. Sure helped me. After you have that down and obtain your license, you will have allot more specific questions to ask here, you will know allot more about the specifics in general, and the trial and error process will be allot less painful.

At least the study guide here in IL is great, hope it is the same for you

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the book The Landscape Management Handbook. Advertized in Landscape Mgt. Mag. Its all There!

4. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'll 2nd Dochere!
    Check with your state licensing agency and get their study guide.

Nebraska is one state I have found that has their study guide available on the web at

http://pested.unl.edu/pat.htm

(The rules are different from state to state.)

Also, contact your local fert / pesticide supplier (Lesco?)
    and university extension agency.

5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony, there is alot to know that can be very specific to a region. In NJ the exam to become a licensed applicator might make you legal, but is woefully inadequate in regards to all the turf culture and agronomic things you really need to know to be succesfull.

Talk to some state university people about short courses in turf management. Good turf people have good knowledge of soil, water, plant relationships, soil types and chemistries and plant biology.

That is the stuff that separates the men from the applicators. It is a results oriented business. All the slick marketing, good exisiting relationships, sound business practices are not worth diddly if you can't grow the best turf.

Learn about and know turf culture before jumping in.