1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn boy 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by elite lawns, Apr 4, 2008.

1. elite lawns

elite lawns LawnSite Senior Member

dose anyone use the lawnboy Commercial 21" : 22271
    MSRP: $945 just saw one i never new lawnboy made a commercial mower
  2. Beau Rivage

Beau Rivage LawnSite Member

I've got a '91 model that spanks...That is one tough little mower. A friend of mine bought a new honda last year for 800 or whatever, and this this old lawn boy blows it away. It's got a commercial 4.0 horsepower engine and it's self propelled. (I can barely keep up with it) I wouldn't trade it for 2 new hondas, and I plan on running it until the engine falls through the deck. I can't speak for the new ones one way or the other, I'm just saying that my experience with a Lawn-Boy couldn't be any better.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

4. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

so far only used this mower in the push version at end of last season. did get the drive set up just wasn't hooked up, (box of parts, time needed to install) but so far from what i saw i liked. thought it bagged well, (the bag could secure better to the mower) but did work well for my use. the cut, if u seen the motor, u know it's a good one and it's been running great, thought it mulch well, (not much rain here last yr) striped and overall liked the cut, so been good so far, least for my set up, do got to mention that like fact of the weight of mower, main reasons first considered buying, (plus good deal) not to heavy. and now on the drive, (which seams to be question from what little i heard on these), but as mentioned didn't use this so can't help much. only that for now that that did get hooked up few days ago and thus far only got use with a small clean up, so still early to say one way or other. only that from my first impressions of use it seamed ok, did make a few adjustments for speed after word but will know more when get the mower some more use, will try to keep posted. hope this helps, got to get going , got some work to do. btw, on the drive, was told that these drive are beefed up versions of homeowners but couldn't tell u having not seen one up close, so only time will tell for now, should be alright.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

who the hell buys a self prop mower and dosnt bother to hook up the gear? come down here and try to push tru thick st aug grass
  6. Luxury Landscaping

Luxury Landscaping LawnSite Member

I stopped using Lawn Boys 15 years ago, they were pretty much pieces of junk back then. I once had 3 self propelling commercial mowers that did nothing but break down weekly. After only 2 months of use, all 3 were in the shop. At that point I bought Honda Commercial mowers with hydrostatic transmissions - 15 years later all 3 are still running amazingly - they still start on the first pull. I don t know of any lawn maintenance professional that would recommend commercial Lawn Boys over Commercial Hondas. Let me know when your Lawn Boy last 15 years.
  7. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

take it the question was more or less directed at me, so here ya go, gonna make quick (games on). on the thick st aug and coming down to cut, some other time, maybe, but very happy where i'm at. on the who doesn't hook up a drive, guess evidently someone who's better than me (and good for u). but let me put this out there before i split this thread. on the hook up or non hook up one reason someone would (me?) not hook up was, i didn't get parts till few wks later when learned it was possible to convert the push mower to a drive mower, by then the season was pretty much over. and before that didn't even know if it could be done, had nothing to go by so when finally did get them, end of season (still few wks left) just didn't feel like it to start messing with a mower still might possibly need warranty ( was still good), and unsure if would work. just decided to put it on hold to end of season and then find more time to mess with mower. got to say also that while all this was happening i got to like the mower the way it was, and thought it worked great for me the way it was, (buis took off a little for me at this time) and that the majority of jobs were small yds, just obstacles everywhere and started to like not having to mess around with a drive set up, plus not afraid of a push mower, wouldn't have been the first time used one. that's it, and btw not trying to start something, think each there own and whatever works for you, use fine, use it, but whatever u use, buy a good one. btw, on the drive that's now hooked up, if i don't like or doesn't work, slows me down or whatever it's coming off, if offends, sorry, see ya i'm out this one, others enjoy the mower if u get, think it's a good one so far.
  8. elite lawns

elite lawns LawnSite Senior Member

thank for your help i went with a 21" eXmark i pay 1,330 i didn't look around was that the going rata