Lawn Boy Commerical 21in push mower ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stinchcomb Lawn, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

I stopped by the dealer to check on my new mower. While I was waiting, I was listening to another salesman showing off the new lawn boy commerical 21in push mower to another lawn company. I heard him say that this was a new design and it was right beside the toro and honda but for a huge price difference. This mower had the honda 190cc motor metal deck etc. I noticed the guys that were looking at this mower had all push mowers on thier trailer. I heard him say they come to buy 3 new hondas, they left with 5 new lawn boys. The price was 800.00 per mower, I hope he likes them, he saved alot as well. Anyone using these how are they working ????

2. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

So there is no one using or looked at these mowers?

3. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I am buying a lawnboy-- I forget the model number, its the one with the blade stop feature, that lets the motor keep running, and a honda motor, with the sensitve drive of course. Anyways-- my point was that its only $4xx, I forget the exact amount, but i know it was one of the higher end LB's, I didnt think they made one in the 8 hundo range.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same question.

I am seriously looking at one, model 22271. It is the new 4-square design, one that follows the long-standing staggered wheel models. I have used the old design for years and years, but am tired of repairing the DuraForce engine.

The new design has some "pro" and some "con" for me:

Pro:

1. Variable speed drive (even though I'm concerned about the "slip belt" design for speed control)
    2. Engine -- a Honda HSV, which is a step up from the consumer model, HCV (cast iron sleeve, roller bearings top and bottom, larger air filter, larger fuel tank)
    3. Steel wheels.
    4. Easy off/on bagger, easy to change to mulch mode, easy to change to discharge mode.
    5. Relatively lightweight (95#, much better than others at 120-122#, such as Toro, Honda)

Con:

1. New design, new parts, untested -- unknown for reliability (save the engine).
    2. Unknown quality of cut (the staggered wheel models did such a great job)
    3. Unkown bagging functionality under difficult conditions (e.g. damp, heavy and sappy grass)
    4. Multiple bags not easy to store/transport; want to use multiple bags (have used 3-4 bags with my side bagger in the past).
    5. Speed control requires holding bail in certain position; not pulling against a stop.
    6. GSV Honda engine questionable for heavy-duty commercial use (past history, 6-700 hours per season).
    7. Small fuel tank -- I believe I would need to refuel at least for times on most days.

The price you noted is about right for a local dealer here too. Actually, I think I saw it for $749 during the Winter, but probably is not that price now.

My other choice is a Honda HRC216. It has a good proven history, great engine, undoubtedly better mulching (but have done very little in the past, maybe could do more), good bagger system, reliable and sturdy. However, the weight of 122# is a real concern for me. I'm afraid it would handle like a tank compared to my previous LawnBoy models at 85#. The new LB is a bit heavier than the old ones, but not nearly as heavy as the Honda or Toro.

I don't know if this helps, but I would like to hear of experiences from those folks who have already begun their season.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the big problem is that its a slip belt desighn. they should use the 3speed trans instead. the toro personal pace isnt suited for comm duty

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

lawnboy dan -- I agree with your assessment. The whole idea makes me cringe. I always learned to run belts with proper tension for long life. Then, I find a design that intends to slip the belt to make the machine function ... very strange.

However, having said that, I have talked with some folks who have done maintenance work on the consumer models that have been in the market for a few years. To be sure, the use is different, but their finding was the belts lasted, and design worked fine.

I have this vision in my head about a design that worked with variable sized sheaves. A spring loaded sheave could be on the transmission, closing with a spring for higher speeds, opening for slower speeds. Such a design would not have a near-zero speed, but it could be a speed similar to the gear #1 on the transmissions now. Well, they didn't ask me, ....

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my complaint with personal pace is it dosnt pull you along like most self propel does. this would make it more work to use esp if used all day or in tall spongy st aug grass.

8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That mower is a upgrade from the pos home owner lawnboys sold at home depot. I had one with the tecumseh with the same design (not staggered wheel) and it was crap. The tranny was slow and the rear end is lower than the wheels so that when you cut on a lower setting even at 2.5 the thing is dragging on the ground slowing the machine down and tearing up the back. Also screws with mulching. I returned mine imediatley and bought a snapper 21". Awsome upgrade. Now though I perfer this bad boy. Best 21" you can get. What ya think lawnboy dan? I like my toro better than the snappers.

[​IMG]

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

S-man -- great piece of equipment, but too heavy, and doesn't bag well at all. I have one sitting in the shed, great shape, 2 cycle Sizuki, etc ... but, it is relegated to secondary use (mulched leaves last Fall). But, as a piece of equipment, it is very well done.

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I would come get yours if you were selling it. Toros are awsome solid machines. And I think the toro does a good job at bagging. I would rather bag with the toro than the snapper.