1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Boy help?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ccwheel, May 14, 2006.

1. ccwheel

ccwheel LawnSite Member

Hey All,

I am new here and I need some HELP. Anyone here know anything about Lwan Boy walk behind mowers? I have one I use for trim work and it's now on the fritz. It is hard to start, runs rough unless at full throttle and still sputters some and smokes alot. Any ideas? Its a Gold series 4.5 hp 2 cycle.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What have you done so far to remedy the problem?

1. Spark plug
    2. Exhaust ports clogged
    3. Mixed fuel sitting in the carb bowl for long period of time, potentially clogging up the carb jets

How old is the machine (model # will help)? Did it run well the last time it was used? When was it used? Supply more information, history, etc and maybe somebody can help.
  3. ccwheel

ccwheel LawnSite Member

I've cleaned the air filter, checked and cleaned spark plug and put fresh fuel int it. I just pulled the carb off and it looks real clean but the "air vane" spring is broke and it just flops around. What is the air vane for? Can it be wired open?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The air vain acts as the governor and you don't want to wire it open and the spring controls the throttle so you need to start by getting that problem solved before going any further.
  5. ccwheel

ccwheel LawnSite Member

Why not wire the air vane open? What will it hurt? Honestly it has never run real smooth but has run better than it does now. What should the setting be on the screw for the carb? Model # of the unit is 10415. If I need the air van e to work(what does it do anyway?) wher do I get another?

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If you wire the air vane open, nothing will happen. If you wire the throttle plate that the air vane was connected to via spring the engine will run at excessively high rpms and therefore cause catastrophic failure and be a hazard to anyone near the mower while it is in operation. Fix the air vane first.
  7. ccwheel

ccwheel LawnSite Member

Ok, I'll get the air van assembly repaired. Anyone got the parts?

8. DeanOBeanO

DeanOBeanO LawnSite Member

Maybe this might help.

I would suggest stop calling it Lawn Boy, it is not PC. I believe the term is Lawn Machine. It’s probably just angry and needs a little more respect.
  9. ccwheel

ccwheel LawnSite Member

That's funny!! I am going to start calling it something else if it doesn't start performing like it should.

10. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchase my lawn boy parts at AES 18008433546 In fact I get most of my parts there. OEM and aftermarket.
    If it smokes a lot then maybe you have a too rich mix. Does it have good compression? Is the reed valve good ? Like as stated above - clean the exhaust ports. And yes like the others said repair the governor spring. Just some more things to try. Good luck.