1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Boy Mowers, how are they?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KliftonJK, Dec 9, 2003.

1. KliftonJK

KliftonJK LawnSite Member

After extensive searching, it seems for what I want (lightweight, extremely high quality cut, and versatility in a 21" deck mower), the Lawn-Boy mowers are the premier choice.

Question is, which one? I am looking at the Commercial line, self prop. unit, since it hardly weighs any more than the push mower, and seems to be a very simple unit.

But, as far as finish quality, sometimes I've noticed that some of the residential mowers provide a higher quality cut than commercial mowers---at the expense of things falling apart much sooner, and more down time.

I'll be replacing my Honda HRC216HXA with this mower, so I definitely want something that's of the highest quality finish, since I'm giving up one of the easiest to use mowers, in my opinion, that I've ever owned.

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Lawn-Boy's are very light and easy to manuever and at the same time produce a great cut. The only problem is that staggered wheel interferes with making perfect stripes. On one side it's going to leave two wheel marks, but if you can live with that then a Lawn-Boy is a great choice.
  3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If it were up to me, we would use Lawn-boys as our trim mowers. I love the way they cut, ease of maintenance, easy to switch between discharge & mulch, etc. However, my employees and brother / co-owner do not like the staggered wheel. We had a 6.5hp 2-cycle that was great, but it was not the commercial unit so things started wearing out on it - like the wheels, etc. The commercial units are built a lot stronger, I say go for it.
  4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you get another Honda? They have a good commercial line as well. Check their website. I have the homeowner model and it does a great job, probably will get the commercial grade next year because they are shaft driven.
  5. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

Go with the lawn boy. The staggered wheel idea is to keep the mower from scalping the grass when mowing uneven terrain. IMHO I would go with the gold pro, self propelled model. You will not wear it out!
  6. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a silver series from Lowes once, It was horrible. Lasted one season. Motor went up. Just the exception, not the rule though, they are good machines.
  7. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I've used dozens of lawnboys over the years and really like these machines. (although I'd rather use the wb)
    My current one is about 8 yrs old (6.5hp Gold Pro 21") It is actually getting better with time. Runs stronger and starts easier.
    Very, very little maintenance involved. Only wish I could find a higher lift blade because sometimes it will not suck the grass up to cut it clean. Have to cut twice. AL deck stays pretty clean and use the mulching kit year round.
    I've had several that were over 25 yrs old and still got used every day. The older OEM lawnboys were the best but the new ones do alright but are heavier.
    I've broken a few cables on the self propelled models but they are really easy to fix if you have an extra in the truck.
  8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Newer self propelled commercial LawnBoys are a PITA to keep up to achieve that classic LawnBoy cut.

First, get a couple of spare clutch cables. Very poor design; I've had them break frequently right at the top hook.

Second, get a handful of the rear height adjusters. The chintzy design loosens quickly, causing so much slop in the height adjuster that the rear of the deck drops. Makes it impossible to keep the forward pitch necessary to maintain that quality cut. So you're stuck replacing the height adjusters every few weeks if you want to maintain that cut.