1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn-Boy Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJIII, Jun 22, 2002.

1. CJIII

CJIII LawnSite Member

Hey I been looking at getting a lawn boy mower to start out with.

I am thinking about getting the goldpro series or the silverpro series. I would like to know how good are they and how will they hold up.
  2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

they hold up very well... we have run lawnboy for 15 years and have always had good service out of them..
  3. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

We've been using a Silver series lawnboy at home on our half acre for the past 6 years... 4 hours a week and it runs like a champ!!!!!! No maintenance at ALL!!!!!!! This is one heck of a mower and it has had TONS of troublefree use

We use the ashless Lawnboy oil and that is supposed to extend the life of the mower by quite a bit supposedly.
  4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a silver series last yr. Great machine, 6.5 hp 2cyl. I put a tape stripe on the deck to mark where the blade cuts to because I had some trouble getting used to the offset wheel. Problem solved. Someone here told me how to speed up rpms and now the thing will realy go. It is a money maker now!! There is a white adjuster on top of the carb that I turned clockwise to increase the rpms to get the blades turning faster to cut better . The thing is great for hills too!!
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Have a Lawnboy and love it. Have the 4.5hp and use nothing but AMSOIL 100:1 in it. There is no maintenance to the mower other than cleaning the air filter every now and then. The exhaust ports are as clean as the day it came off the crate. The nice thing about Amsoil is that you don't smell like 2 cycle oil when you are done mowing. The downside is that you will get more mosquito bites because there is no blue cloud of death around you when you mow.
  6. Season 2 Season

Season 2 Season LawnSite Member

Havegold series runs great. Doesn't come offtrailer much, really just for looks. Hate to push mow. Just get the 2cycle and not the four and you should have now problems.
  7. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Ditto, do not get the 4 cycle..... It sux, The other day I saw a lawnboy mower that was 25 years old at my mechanics shop, the only problem this mower had was a clogged carb and a little wear but ran like a champ and still the same design that mine is to boot( I have the commercial series) I told my mech when the owner of that mower comes in to let him know I would give him $100 bucks for it, well the guy came in and was told about my offering hime $100 for his mower HE SAID NO! Why should he have to give up a good mower only to have to spend $400 to $500 for a new one...... Well he had a good point.

But anyhow, get the aluminum deck with the personal pace system, and the rear bagger works great in dry weather, the side bag is probably better for wet weather.

Good luck on your purchase.:)
  8. I have the new gold pro series. Its the best 21 I have ever used. The honda & toro dont even go on the trailer anymore. The only thing I would suggest is dont use the lawn boy oil. Use opti or amsoil
  9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I wouldn't have a Lawn Boy. I used several when I was younger and HATED THEM. Weak, heavy in the extreme, hard to start. This was a commercial model 2 cycle.

At my dealers on their lawn boy parts shelf it reads. "Lawn Boy, P O S"
  10. Okieboy42509

Okieboy42509 LawnSite Member

I just bought a silverpro series for personal use today, great lawnmower. The only problem I had was the Spring thingy for the self propell, popped off. I was like "d@amn I wanted to play with it." Then my wife fixed it in about 30 sec. :rolleyes: :blush: Well the only other thing i don't like aobut it is I used the oil from lawnboy and it seems to smoke ALOT. Changing brands corrects this if I remember correctly. (my parents used lawnboys when they had the lco) Well anyways, the self propell pullls harder than any mower I can ever remember using. It cut some test grass Ithat was about 6" to 7 in, like a CHAMP! didn't bog down at all.