Lawn Boy prob

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JeepCreepn01, Sep 10, 2006.

1. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 LawnSite Member

my Lawn Boy is bout 3yrs old 6.5 HP motor, mixed gas, bout 2weeks ago it started acting funny, wanted to stop running and what not, well yesterday started it up and coming out with exhaust was what looked like oil and gas, when running the mower it acts like its gonna die if i dont choke it some, changedthe plug and clean filter yearly, any suggestions on what this could be? Thanks in advance

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

what oil to gas ratio are you running?

3. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

Also the muffler could be stopped up with carbon buildup, might need to clean it.

4. JeepCreepn01

same as i always have, had a lawn boy for 12 yrs before this one, its like
    2 and 1/2 gal to the can of oil, always has ran fine just all the sudden started acting up, never thought of the muffler ill check that out

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take tha carb off clean and blow it out. Check for water in the fuel.
    Fly4fun made a good point also.

6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. Two last week same symptoms and same solution. Cleaned carb, removed water in float bowl and from tank. Changed plug due to excessive carbon. No carbon buildup in exhaust port to worry about although that is usually a concern if you had it running rich / on partial choke for an extended period.

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Supposed to be 2 gallons to one can oil:weightlifter: ...NOT 2.5 gallons...:nono:

8. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Lawn Boy uses a cork float that is notorious for swelling in gasoline over time. I would suggest pulling the carb then replace needle/seat and float particularly if you don't have a way to pressure check it in the inverted position with the bowl off.

Dutch

9. JeepCreepn01

its a 2gallon can i looked, we have had it for so long i dont know, just fill it up when need fuel, anyways cleaned out my exhaust had some carbon built up, cut the grass ran alittle rough at first but then ran like it always does so hopefully prob is solved