lawn boy question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Apr 23, 2002.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

im thinking of getting the commercial 2 cycle lawnboy in the future itis on the exspensive side . my trim mower is now a craftsman .which is fine for now ,am i wasteing money for a trim mower or the lawnboys are worth it.i run a 36 inch scag hydro sometimes there are areas were i cant fit so i use the craftsman.

2. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Your probably wasting your money if you are only going to use it as a trim mower, I recently purchased 2 new commercial lawnboys, But they will get lots of use on smaller properties.

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have the model 10525, which has the same aluminum deck and the three speed transmission. It cost me about $525 two years ago.

I couldn't see too many advantages to paying the bigger bucks for the commercial model -- a motor guard (never needed it) and a bigger gas tank (not needed unless you mow all day with it). I've set the engine speed up a bit, and this one really rolls.

4. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

I use two Lawn boys. One commercial aluminum deck, two stroke. I really like it. The other is a cheap-o 4 stroke. It is a pretty good mower I use it primaraly for clean ups when I don't know what may be hidden in the grass. Both are good mower and I think worth the price.

5. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I have one and I hate it. I started using my old craftsman instead of my new lawnboy. What I hate about it is the offset wheel. If there is any berm or dip in front of your right side where the discharge of the Lawnboy is, it will surely dig in to the dirt there. I just hired a guy who won't use it either. I bought it for the light weight and the 2-cycle motor, but it needs to be on another deck as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to sell it and buy a Toro. This is just my opinion.

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i never have any problems with the deck doing that hubb:confused:

7. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Vipermanz,
    I have seven apartment complexes that I cut and on the one that I bought the Lawnboy for it has these little squares in between the sidewalks of the entrances to the apartments. These squares are about 12'x10' and each one has a swail running through it to prevent standing water. These dips from the swails are about 12"inches deep. Now these are the only ones that cause me problems. But it is about 3hours worth of work and with my Crapsmen that the wheels are about to fall off of, I never have to go back and fix divits from it. They may be fine mowers for flat ground, as a matter of fact I do use it for my small postage stamp size yard, but I just cant use it on the one job that I bought it for. Also the reason I dont use my w/b in the squares is it makes even larger divits. I'm sure they have they're purpose, but I just don't like mine. This is just my preference though. Others may find them just dandy. :D

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Ron,

I have a 1998 Commercial Lawnboy Staggered wheel Push (Not self Propelled) LBU - 22260. I paid $600 for it new. It gets used very rarely, but I haven't even changed the spark plug yet! No oil to change. Just grease the heavy duty wheels every week or so, and they will last a long time. I also had a 1986 model (Same thing, Commercial Push) that I gave to my Father, its still running fine, and will list him forever. The large gas tank is a BIG plus for me! Who wants to be refilling any more than you have to! I go sometimes 2 weeks on a tankfull!

I believe in buying the BEST, highest quality in everything I do/buy. Wether I really need "everything" to be overkill, who knows, but at least its there!

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

does your's have a plate/bar running between the discharge chute???

10. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

No it doesn't. I think they only have those on the metal stamped decks.