Lawn Boy Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Ranger 13, May 26, 2004.

1. Lawn Ranger 13

Lawn Ranger 13 LawnSite Member

I am looking to upgrade my 21 in. mower. I have looked at the commerical Hondas, Toro, Emark, and Lawn-Boy. All of these mowers are around $1000 dollars or more. Out of 25 accounts, I only use my 21 in. mower on about 5 yards, so I can't see paying that much for a new mower. I'm looking at a Lawn-Boy goldpro series model 10550. Can someone give me some feedback on this mower. What mower would you look at? Thanks for the information.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

is it a 2 cycle??

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Trim Mowers are disposable in my opinion and I would never spend a grand on a commercial trim mower. That is my situation, I know some guys have to use them and the commercial ones are built well.
    If you are only using a mower for a few lawns then a LB is a good choice. I have an older LB Gold with a 4.5 2 cycle. I use Amsoil in it and the only thing I replaced was an ignion module. I got mine used for 200 bucks about 6 years ago and it runs great. The 2 cycle is a good motor in terms of maintenance and ability to mow on a steep angle if you have to. Look around in the pspers and at garage sales, you could probably pick one up cheap.

4. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

Instead of spending $1000, I'd suggest that you go to Sams Club and get a brand new MTD with a 5.5 hp Honda enging for $200. Take good care of it, and it should last a long time.

If it breaks on you, buy another one. If the next one dies, buy another one.....if that one dies, buy another one. At that point, you'll still have spent less than the $1000 commercial mower.

That's the strategy that I go by, and it seems to be working well for me....just my 2 cents! Good luck!

5. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I used to be a Lawn Boy dealer 13 years ago. I don't know much about the newer models but you couldn't kill the older ones. If you took care of them and serviced them once a year they would last forever. It was always important to clean the muffler and exhaust ports once a year.

6. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an older Lawn Boy consumer 2 cycle I use as a trim mower. I'm with MowEd, I just can't see spending the money for a commercial 21" when these older Lawn Boy's are still around.

7. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

The Lawn boy gold series w/ Honda engine I just bought only cost $380.00

8. bodypilot

bodypilot LawnSite Member

I was just given a LawnBoy 6.5 HP 21 inch commercial series. Anyone have any idea's what the fuel/oil ratio would be on this sucker?

9. gr84

gr84 LawnSite Member

i would venture to say 32:1 that is what ours is. its a gold series with a commerical engine on it

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Every 2-stroke Lawn-Boy I've seen is 32:1.

They are excellent little mowers. Very light and the side discharge is excellent. Almost wish I had bought a commercial LB rather than the ProLine 21".