Lawn Boy Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mow betta, Feb 19, 2003.

1. mow betta

mow betta LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Greetings all,

I posted the following in the "Homeowner Assistance Forum" and didn't receive a response, so I decided to repost here. I apologize for placing this in the wrong forum.

"Greetings, I've been looking at mowers for the last few years and have settled on a Lawn Boy Silver Pro push model based on its low weight, power, and reasonable price. In the opinion of the pros is the duraforce 2 stroke engine of good quality? Is the staggered wheel a cause for scalping? Can I run Amsoil 100:1 premix with good results? Are there any mods that you perform on Lawn Boys out of the box? Thanks in advance."
  2. lawnboy is a great choice.I would use opi 2cycle oil or amsoil.Dont ever use the lawn boy oil.In my mind the 2cycle engine is the best engine for a 21 mower.The stagger wheel is for trimming and takes awhile to get use to.Plus if I was you buy the self propel model.It will make it easier to use with the stagger wheel setup.Plus down the road if you trade it in the push model won't be much of value where the self propel will have some value
  3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i would run it @ 80:1 just to be on the safe side if you use the synthetics, i use the lawn boy oil @ about 40:1 with smokeless results, you will really love the staggered wheel for trimming, and i find it hard to scalp with a lb too.
    Good luck.:)
  4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

The Lawn Boy will be a great mower for you. Use the LB oil. It works great in their mowers and you will be pleased. I use LB oil in my Echo, Sthil, Robin two cycle products with very good results mixing at the prescribed 50:1 ratio. Have used this oil for 15 years and buy it by the case.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a couple push type staggered wheel ones, a magnesium deck and a steel deck but even in my use I fail to see how the staggered wheel makes for easier trimming. If someone could point it out I would probably understand, but "I don't get it". LOL. It leaves a goofy streak down the previous or next pass. I'm using 50:1 oil.
  6. lawn storm

lawn storm LawnSite Member

good choice lawnboy
    always started on first pull if not on the second.
    staggerd wheels was cool you could get under things better .no more scalping than any other mower.
    mine did get stolden though,but after it was gone i realized i didnt need it anyways.hardly see any 21's on trailers now.
  7. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

That is a good choice the 2 cycle has alot of power and will go through anything. I have one and love it.
  8. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Great mower!
    I don't mow commercially but this is what I use at home. It cuts great with the bagger or the mulcher. I have self propelled with 6.5hp. I mix 32:1, I tried 40:1 but was choking on the smoke.
  9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand how staggered wheel is easier because I used one for 3 years and it was not as easy as a regular one. I also didn't liket the fact that it left the funny line down the side. :mad:
  10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Phill, a 40:1 ratio is less oil to the gass then 32:1 so using 40:1 should not produce more smoke. I use lawnboy 50:1 in all my 2 cycle machines and have for many years without a problem.