Lawn-Boy sharpening tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ilovethisgame, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

I bit the bullet today and bought a bench grinder and a cheapo blade balancer. Does anyone have tips for sharpening the "wavy" Lawn-Boy 21" blades. Thanks in advance.

-Dave

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Get yourself a 4" air sander or a 4.5" electric grinder with a flap style sanding disc. Just put the blade in a vice and make a couple passes across the blade. i find this method so much quicker and easier.

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

What's a "flap" style sanding disc? I never saw one or heard of it. All I know is bench grinders. :(

4. DLCS

Here is a picture of one. Just click the link and enter page 2537. I use the angle style. http://www.mcmaster.com/

5. Doogiegh

Which Metal Composition and which grit? Thanks for the info, I think I'll get one once I find out some more about them. :)

I'm gonna guess by the description that the Basic Aluminum Oxide works since we're generally not removing ALOT of material from the blades? And I'm gonna guess a 60, 80 or 120 grit as you want it to be relativly fine? I'm guessing a 36 grit takes off WAY too much too fast?

Thanks!!

6. DLCS

I use a 80 grit but I'm sure 120 would work good enough. I have found that I don't heat the blade up as much using those discs too. Oh just get the basic alum. oxide and you can get them just about at any hardware store.

7. Doogiegh

Thanks! You find these wheels to be faster then a bench grinder routine? Do you sharpen blades while on the machine or still take them off and put them in a vise?

I'll be checking the surrounding Home Depot or Lowes. :)

I'll tell them DLCS sent me. :)

Gary

8. DLCS

I find this way much faster than a bench grinder. Yes, I take the blades off and put them in a vise, on my smaller mowers. You will be amazed at how fast you can sharpen a blade and how sharp you can get them with just a couple of passes.

9. Doogiegh

Thanks again. :)