lawn boy staggered wheel 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfsup, Feb 27, 2002.

1. turfsup

turfsup LawnSite Member

Does anyone have good things(or bad) to say about the Lawn Boy 21" staggered wheel deck?

2. plow kid

plow kid Banned

IMO the good ones are the ones with the magnesium decks and have the 2 stroke motors, we still have one that is 25 years old.~NaTe

3. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Use the Gold Series two-stroke. Just make sure the filter is clean and the blades are sharp. Great mower if your not going to buy a Honda Commercial, that's the one to buy.

Nice Pink Floyd tribute Plow Kid. I saw them on their last tour in Houston and New Orleans.:p

4. grasskeeper

grasskeeper LawnSite Member

I see that you asked this question a couple of days ago, so you may have already purchased it. If you bought the commercial model 6.5 hp, make sure that you clean the air filter daily. Wash it out with the garden if you must then put a touch of oil on it and replace. The old engine type use to suck in air from pretty much all over the place, lawnboy has since changed the engine design and the mower now, for the most part will only get air from the air filter, once that gets dirty, no more air= no more engine. Keep it clean, stay happy.

5. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I've used commercial duty lawnboys for about 4 years. They are the best trim mowers on teh market.

I needed a new mower in a pinch last season so I shelled out the 1K for a new honda. I mowed for 5 minutes on a lawn and returned it. Doesn't vac grass half as well as the commercial duty lawnboy (with govenor cranked up) and you have to have 3 hands to comfortably run it. You can whip the lawnboy around with one hand.

IMO

Ron

6. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

i like mine also . lighter on the back also.

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I hated mine. I used it for 2 years and finally replaced last summer with a MTD. I love the MTD. I paid about 2 and 1/2 times more for the Lawnboy and I think the MTD will last me longer.

8. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I have 2 older 21" Lawnboy Comercials and 1 newer 21" 6.5 hp. self propelled. They are great machines, nice and light and very durable. The only 2 things I don't like about them is they tend to clump easy when the grass is a little too long or damp, and on the older models with the muffler under the deck if you bag the clippings you tend to get alot of exhust fumes in your face. The newer ones muffler is out front so they don't have this problem. Compared to my other Toro Proline I prefer the Lawnboy.

Ray

9. Hobart

Hobart Banned
    from Canada!

Ray, if you haven't allready done it take off the metal bar under the discharge chute on the LB & the mower will plow through almost anything.
    Also try some Mo-Deck on the deck. Avail. for Canadian delivery at
    http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1130

10. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

i also like them better than toro proline , and on the silver series it had a bar like what hobart said thats in the discharge area it would make discharging clump took it off and no more clumps mine has went thru hell and still has a couple years of life left.