Lawn-Boy Tune Up Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Boltzie, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Boltzie

Boltzie LawnSite Member

I have a Lawn-Boy that is approximately 15 years old. It hasn't been used in maybe 8 years because my great uncle had his lawn professionally managed. This Lawn-Boy is in very good condition and ran great when he used it. The problem is that it has sat unused in the garage for the last eight years. Besides changing the plug and cleaning the carb, what else should be done to get this push mower ready for spring?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Change oil
    clean or replace air filter
    sharpen blade & balance
    drain fuel tank & add fresh fuel

also before turning it over, remove plug and add a few squirts of oil, then let it set a few hours before turning over. Crank slowly until you are sure piston is moving freely. Rust can form on piston/rings when setting for extended periods.

3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to see you change the oil on his lawnboy. :rolleyes:

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

:D :D :D i'd pay to see him try that!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

5. All right its a 2 stroke:blush: :blush: :blush:

It was a long day- the dog ate my manual-something like that

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Take the exhaust port cover (bottom of mower) off and clean them with a stick or something wooden loke a dowel. Whatever you do don't use lawnboy oil again. Load up the tank with a 100:1 mix of AMSOIL. Change the plug.

These mowers are as tough as nails and I have one that sat for about 10 years that fired up on the third pull.

If all else fails then look for the oil drain plug, if you can't find it call Bob.:D :eek: :D

7. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I've been using lawn boy oil for the last, oh say at least 20 yrs. I haven't had any problems.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Ya but I bet you smell bad after using it.

Second thought is I KNOW you do.

I used to have a neighbor that used it and we would have to shut the windows because it smoked so much.

9. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Maybe he is using too much oil or maybe his Lawn Boy is not burning all the fuel, hence the smoke. I might add that I am not a fan of the newer Lawn Boys. As with any company, things change, but I don't think Lawn Boy is as good as they once were. ie; the Dura Force engines.

10. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

Where can you get this oil? I've never seen 100:1 oil. The lowest ratio I've seen Echo oil. I forget if it's 40 or 50:1.