Lawn-Boy users lets start a letter campaign

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gusbuster, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Hey all you fans of the 21" Lawn-Boy users.

I know quite a few of you that use the L-B's of various models are disappointed with the quality of the newer models. Let us all start a letter campaign that is coming from real live persons that use this old work horse.

I know that there are people out there that prefer their much heavier machines, but the point of this thread is to get Lawn-Boy users to provide feedback from the pro's and not their mechanics and reps. Here is an address that you can use:
    LAWN-BOY INC
    ATTN: NIKKI LINDSTROM
    8111 LYNDALE AVE S
    BLOOMINGTON MN 55420-9988

Let's tell them to get their acts together?

JOHN

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

What do those new LB's look like? Do they still have aluminum decks & staggered wheels. I'm guessing the Nice Light & Powerful 2 Stroke engine is gone.

Love the Light Lawnboys...sign me up!

lawnboys.jpg

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Thanks for the addy John.
    Will definitely drop them a line with our thoughts on the discontinuation of the LB 2 cycle.

4. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

lawn boy is coming out with honda engines on some of there new models, same motors that are on the walmart murrys!
    after toro bought lawn boy i think there just gonna keep that line around until the 80 year old guys that buy them (that think there the good old lawn boys) go into rest homes, then they will discontinue them!!

5. The newer models of lawn-boy are...... well use your imagination.
    They are not staggered and my shop guy says there not worth a penny.

The new model is a toro with the lb green colors.

John

6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that your equipment? I think a guy from AL was using that pic a while back.:confused:

7. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

gusbuster is right and i think if im not mistaken the cheaper of the toro push mowers with green paint.

8. Not 80 years old, but have been using L-B since age 8, over 32 years of using 19's and 21" of staggered design.

Your right, ever since Toro bought O.M.C out the company has never been the same.

Also, what killed the r&d of l-b was that fancy conveyor system that o.m.c tried to initiate to cut labor cost down. It didn't help that when Toro already had acquired L-B, Toro started to sell the same machine that was once only available to independent dealers, @ the big box store of Home Depot, West-Star, which was the distributor of L-B here on the west coast, told Toro to go take a _ _ _ _. That just hurt Lawn-Boy in the pocket book.

Lawn-Boy has always been a dominate machine used by pros until West-Star stopped distribution here on the west coast.(bout 15 years ago) The reason was because of our milder weather, 2 cycle engines performed better than the east coast which was always Toro's domain.

Now a days, it just about impossible to find a nationally name brand commercial grade mower for under 90 pounds.

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

iv'e seen 55 year old lb's with all original parts that start on the first pull, mine is a 1985 model and starts on the first pull Every Single Time. the f series engine made them a true legend!!

10. The problem that ALL companies have is the fact that older engines, whether 2 cycle or 4, don't meet Carb Compliance.

Here in Ca., the carb rules are much tougher, L-B never did R&D for themselves, but use info from parent company of Toro.

In regards to the last duraforce model, most of the problem was from the user end and not the machine itself, in regards to emission problems. Forgot the mix recommended ration, but think it was 32:1. Most of us all use a 50:1 since you didn't need to carry 3 tanks around. Plus, like me, can you imagine trying to get a crew to remember what tank is what mix?