Lawn Boy won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LHart47453, Sep 23, 2004.

1. LHart47453

LHart47453 LawnSite Member

I have a Lawn Boy Silver Series 2 cycle Model 10324 (2001 model year) that won't start. Here's what I have done so far:
    1. changed the fuel
    2. changed the spark plug
    3. changed the ignition module
    4. checked the gap between the ignition module
    5. checked the spark plug gap
    6. pulled the flywheel to confirm that the key isn't broken
    7. cleaned the carb and replaced the throttle cable to make sure that it was working properly
    8. changed the ground wire

There is compression when I pull the start cord, and there is a spark...seems weak, but I really don't know what it is supposed to look like. Just won't start.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

I have a 10323 and its spark got weak and it didn't start. I found since I don't put it in at night, the steel magnet in the flywheel got rust build up on it so the signal was weak and thus the spark. Don't know if that will help.

3. LHart47453

thanks for the advice...i will check that again. didnt list that in my list of what i did, but i had used emery cloth on the flywheel to make sure it was clean...didn't seem to help. I'll try that again.

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I also have 2 Lawnboy 10323's and one of them starts fine on 1st pull with 3 primes on the bulb, but the other wont hit a lick sometimes, but other times it will start, but it's never consistant. I am really starting to dislike the 6.5 Duraforce. I used to have an older LB with the 4.5 Duraforce and you couldn't kill it. The body eventually went to pieces.

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Lawn Boy engines do something that no other engine I know of does. Some ignition modules (coil) has to have the kill wire free to run just like every other engine there is but some have to have the ignition module kill wire GROUNDED to run, right a** backwards from every other engine out there. So when working on a Lawn Boy engine remember to check for spark with the kil wire ungrouned and grounded.

6. mike green

mike green LawnSite Member

check the exaust port might be stoped up

7. LHart47453

Thanks for all of the advice. I have checked everything out and still no start.

I have good magnetic pull on the flywheel. I am assuming that the flywheel isnt the problem because of that. Does that make sense?

Anyone have an opinion on whether the new ignition module that I bought might not be good?

One final thing....I am thinking that the spark is weak, but I really have nothing to firmly say thats the problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

8. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

For what its worth, In my working days all I ever ran was lawn boys, from the sixties till in the eighties. Some were good ,, some great and some we won't talk about. One of the biggest problems that occured was when they cheapend them selves and went from roller bearings to brass sleev bearings on the crankshaft ends. what this done was allow the brass and or crank to wear uneven and creat a bad seal of course and the crankcase would suck air and of course then it got twice as much air and the mix would be broke down to much to creat a good exsplosion in the cyl. they still have good compression or enough to run... but due to the air leak.... as far as I know this stlll happens. depending on the oil mix and the hours. it can happen quite fast. Hope this helps :confused:

9. coppertop98_98

coppertop98_98 LawnSite Member

I had a lawnboy 2-cycle that wouldn't't start, I replaced everything and worked on it for weeks, it ended up being the fuel filter that fits into the carburetor where the fuel line attaches from the gas tank. Just a suggestion.

10. Gungadin

Gungadin LawnSite Member

I agree with Rockytopp, I have a Lawnboy 10324 with the 6.5 Duraforce with similar starting issues. Has to be the excessive crank-play resulting in air leak and thereby starting is nearly impossible. One attempt to positively diagnose this is to pack the lower seal with heavy grease. During the starting procedure the grease is thick enough to create a seal and allow for a start. Once running it slings the grease away and the leak returns to stifle the engine. Definetly a weak point inthe Duraforce 6.5 Hp.