lawn boy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bare spot, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

saw a 21 in. commercial lawn boy today at a dealer today. was told it's new and just came out, was wondering if any seen this, or knows anything about these new mowers. it's a push model and don't know if any of these models are gonna have a drive system but looks like a good one. bare spot

2. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

did it have the honda commercial engine on it? and no staggered deck?

3. bare spot

yes and no, forgot hp but yeah pretty sure commercial and believe six hp, not sure what mean about deck other than how lawn boy wheel base on some mower is staggered., this one wasn't,.. was told it's similar to a proline. it is a push and wondering if gonna make this model with drive. was checking their site earlier and couldn't find, but good looking mower

4. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i like the look of it as well. although i still prefer the staggered deck (it's what i use daily), i sometimes wouldn't mind having a non-staggered wheel design. and i'm the same as you, i can't find anything about a drive system on this new mower.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

This may be the Insight commercial model that was scheduled for release in early Summer (by some accounts). If so, it should have the Honda X engine, the variable ground speed control (not sure what it is called these days, but patterned after the consumer models), non-staggered wheel design, rear bagger.

6. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

my dealer has them in stock they look preety nice. i just wish they had blade control that would be even better. I also miss the staggered deck!

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Toro actually owns lawnboy. Before you commit to buy check out the aluminum deck Toro with personal pace drive system 3 in 1 mower. It bags, mulches and has a side chute mount for mowing the really tall stuff if you need to. $550-$650

Also check out Toros Proline series over $1100. Built like a tank Kawasaki powered however no personnel pace drive system. 3 speed left foot operated shifting.

Do Not buy the steel deck Home Depot or Lowes version :hammerhead: of this mower. Under $400

I believe the higher grade consumer aluminum deck Toro will hold up just fine for commercial use. The increased productivity of the personal Pace system will make up up for any reduction of long term durability when compared to the Toro Proline series for half the price. They also have the blade control in this series as well as an OHV engine.

YMMV

8. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

the personal pace drive system is to easy to ruin.

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

This system is very similar to the Lawnboy as well. What exactly goes wrong with them and how much is it to fix? Not what a dealer would charge but in parts and user labor time. I've been looking for specifics on the long term reliability of the Personnel Pace drive system.

Awaiting for a detailed reply. :rolleyes:

10. bare spot

anyone know what this variable ground speed control (or what their calling it) is, is it just one gear?