Lawn boy?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Blaster822, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

i had a lawn boy push mower 6.5 com mower and it starts but when you mow with it it idles down and all most quits it keep going up and down but when i stop pushing it runs fine?

thanks

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Sounds like you have a govenor problem. When the engine gets under load the govenor wont open it up. Check the spring that it is not broken and is connected correctly. Make sure the govenor blade moves freely and that there is no debris that restricts its movement.

3. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

I would look toward a carb blockage causing this if the governor seems OK. Cleaning the main jet or entire carb would be a good place to start. If this gets you going make sure the tank and fuel are clean.

Mike

4. Blaster822

Blaster822 LawnSite Member

i have bought a carb kit put it in and it still does it; It is only 2 years old i got it this way have you ever heard of a pilit jet it goes in the side of the carb it is missing i looked it up it is a air bleed off is that bad and where can i find one

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Best place is a LB dealer. You'll pay a little more but you can get it faster and a lot easier there then off the internet somewhere.

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

This surging problem is because of the EPA junk, There is a service bulletin at my dealer that basically says the surging is normal and the mower should NOT surge under a load while cutting. I have 2 of these, Mine will not surge in consistant turf, but will in really thin turf. I bumped my RPM's up a little as well.

7. Greg C.

Greg C. LawnSite Member

If you look at the governor on top of the carb it should have a round plastic disc with teeth in it. I'd don't recall right now what direction to turn it but try either that will increase or decrease the rpm that the governor holds it at. You want just enough without losing power under load just a consistant speed not too much.

8. a. palmer jr.

a. palmer jr. LawnSite Member

Does anybody remember how many turns out you turn the carburetor adjustment screw. I bought one used and the screw was turned all the way in. It is a Lawn Boy Supreme, 2 cycle.