Lawn Burn Spots 18/44 Fastrak

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by deer66, Aug 14, 2004.

1. deer66

deer66 LawnSite Member

I bought a Fastrak about three weeks ago (18hp honda /44 deck ) I stopped and left it running in 2 stops (in front of my gates ) and now there is 2 , 12 inch round dead spots in the yard . I read the posts about heat from the muffler and I havent seen the fix posted . But I seen something interesting today,at my local tractor dealership,they had a land-pride razor (the exact same mower as mine) but the rear of the tractor has 3 cut outs in the metal behind the muffler . I assume this is to let some of the heat out backwards instead of it directing down . What can I get done to get this problem fixed . Is there a replacement rear end for Hustler that I can get to change out . (under warranty of course )

Thank You
  2. Scooter413

Scooter413 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

As anyone using the mini z with the kawasaki motor having these problems or is it just limited to the honda motors.:confused:
  3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a 20/52 Fastrak with the burn problem...

I asked my dealer about it to see if a heat shield is available yet and his reply was (get this) "All lawn mowers will scortch the grass if you leave them running on the lawn. It is really not an issue."

I never had a machine do that before so I am not sure why he thinks that.

4. fastrackguy

fastrackguy LawnSite Member

Hey guys, Have you ever stoped the machine and put your hand under the back end to see where the heat is coming from? I have a 18/44 fastrak with a honda and it seems that the heat isn't coming from the exhaust at all. it seems to be getting blown down over the cylinder heads by the cooling fan on the flywheel. If you look at the underside of the machine you will see the heads and how much heat they radiate. Two days before I bought my hustler I used my dads new JD 110 on my yard and had to stop twice to empty the rear bagger. A few days later I saw these 10 to 14 inch circles in my yard and was amazed that even a front engine tractor would do the same thing. On this unit the exhaust blows directly down into the grass which eventually dries it out to the extent that it will turn brown after a few days. SO... this opens a new can of worms . It isn't just a Hustler problem. If Honda would put heat shields on the heads maybe it would help?
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you are experiencing this, please call your dealer, have them call the factory and get the shield kit for your unit, this is a warranty item and we will take care of you.
    If you have any problems please e-mail me.

6. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Is there a heat shield available for a Super Mini Z (Honda 24 HP) now as well? I had written about this grass scorching problem I had back in August of 2003, back when my mower was still under warranty. If I've remember correctly I'm thinking you said that you would take "our" concerns up with the Engineering Department, and would get back with us when you had some helpful "fix" information that you could share with us. I wasn't aware that I had, but maybe I had missed a written post or two that gave us your (Hustler's) response to this on-going problem?
  7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I did, and there is now a heat shield kit for your unit along with any other units experiencing this problem.

This will be taken care of at no charge to you.
    Please contact your dealer to have him get the shield needed for your unit.

8. DN325Ci

DN325Ci LawnSite Member

I have this issue and I could not for the life of me figure out where the burn spots were coming from!! I stop 2 - 3 times during my mow to move our trampoline and pick up various toys or whatever in the way. I thought I had a bizarro grub problem!! I'm calling my dealer today.

Great forum.