lawn burning and reseed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnGrassHoppers, Apr 15, 2005.

1. LawnGrassHoppers

LawnGrassHoppers LawnSite Member

i got a customer who wants their lawn burned and reseeded its about 1300 square feet ive never done this before.how do i go about doing this and could you give me a price and any advice that could help me? :help:

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Grasshopper

This is more of a agriculture practice than a Residential turf practice. I think you may run into trouble with the Fire Marshal. I recommend you till the ground and re seed. 1300 sq feet is not a lot of area.

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Boy, you are playing with fire here..LITERALLY.

You cannot do this, do you have any idea of the risk involved.

4. ndunn

ndunn LawnSite Member

do they mean burning the weeds? If you're talking the actual entire lawn, do you mean with chemicals? or........FIRE!..........man you might want to have a chat with your insurance agent about that one. or tell them to buy some goats.

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I cut a ton of brush this winter and piled it into three piles for the customer. He wants me to burn it, but I said no way unless he lights the match. I told him we are friends now, but if I burned his house down that would probably change. Burning just sounds dangerous to me, fire seems so unpredictable.

6. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure he means chemically burn. I have never heard of anyone actually setting a lawn on fire (for this purpose).

The Scott's book says to use Roundup (glyphosate), wait at least ten days, and preferrably reapply in ten to thirty days. Then, cut very short (1/2" to 3/4"). Next power rake with lower setting than for dethatching, cutting slightly into soil.This is also a good time to aerate if necessary.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yea I have seen fields burned but never a lawn. Around here when you burn a field you have to get a permit from the Fire Marshall

8. LawnGrassHoppers

its a chemical burn i dont know the correct proccess and thats why im asking how much should i charge for this job, whats the correct way of doing such a thing.NO FIRE
    ;)

9. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

Where does your customer live in the city or country? I ran into a project like this once where kids burn the entire lawn down and the home owner called me to renovate the lawn. The insurance paid for the reseeding. The reseeded lawn was greener than lawn done by conventional reseeding methods. I do not know what good effects the fire caused.
    The customer should not tell you how to execute a project. He should pay you for the outcome. Before you do something that can get you into trouble call and ask the fire department.

10. LawnGrassHoppers

theres no fire involed :angry: