1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

lawn burning and reseed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnGrassHoppers, Apr 15, 2005.

1. LawnGrassHoppers

LawnGrassHoppers LawnSite Member

there is no fire involved :angry:

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Adam

Don't get mad at us because you posted a question unclear.

3. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

Lawn Grasshopper,
    You really scare us to death with burning. I am glad you explain that it is chemical burning.
    If you type lawn reseeding or seeding or sodding on your search engine you will see many university extension explaining how to go about and kill a lawn and re-seed or re-sod. The process is pretty much standardized.
    If you spend 30 minutes and read what these experts write you will be a guru at lawn renovation.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on what type of grass he has, and what he is going too, one idea is to rent a rear tine rototiller 2 or 3 days after you or him have given the area a good watering. Till in two directions, level and let sit to help kill the grass. Then assuming you are licensed too, apply roundup and wait 10 more days, do your final leveling, then go back and re-seed or sod. If you seed, I would rent a slit seeder. If you broadcast, the birds are gonna love you and the results will not be as good. Ensure he knows it will be a lot of work on his part to ensure it's sucsessful. You can do the best job in the world, a couple days of, "I forgot to water" by him and it will be a mess. On an area this small, sodding would be a good option.

5. NEIL

NEIL LawnSite Member

They would mean FIRE. Down South (mostly along the coast) most people have centipeed, or charleston grass. I goes dormant in the winter and before it comes back out in the spring everyone burns their lawn to get rid of the dead thatch. IT WORKS GREAT! The new grass comes out and looks wonderful.