1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn business start up book?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dixie88, Oct 29, 2002.

1. dixie88

dixie88 LawnSite Member

Hi guys, I would like to find book that has info in regard to starting a lawn maintenance business. I have looked at some online, but I was curious if anyone knows a GOOD one. Not so much in the area of actual maintenance tips and such...but more along the lines of legal issues, pricing, accounting, hiring, advertising etc........thank you
  2. How to start a home based landscape business-Owen Dell
    Pretty good

Lawn care and gardening, a down to earth guide to the Business
    Mickey Willis

Best source is search feature on this site
  3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I'd say your time is much better spent just reading old threads here on LawnSite. With a book, you get just one person's experience, insight. He may be very successful but there are a ot of different ways to build a LCO business. Further, there are a lot of issues that are specific to your region, the size of properties you'll be maintaining, the kind of equipment you'll be using, etc. that you just can't find in a book.

IMO, the Lawnsite is about as good as you can get for learning this business. I think you have to be careful who you take advice from here. But there are many many successful LCOs here who I think, combined, offer about the best advice there is on the subject.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would have to go with Jim on this one. Before I found this site I had purchaed that book that Bob mentioned, "Lawn care and gardening, a down to earth guide to the Business" and like he said....it's ok. I later found this site and had no need for the book. Check with your local SBA. For more information, go to www.sba.gov then go to your states page. They offer a lot of free seminars, especially one on business start-up and tax informations. I went to one last week on writing business plans and tomorrow I am going to one called " Low and No Cost Marketing Ideas". Also, check with your local SCORE assoc.

Good luck
  5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with Jim too.
    Lawnsite is a tremendous resource if you go through the threads.
  6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

bill phagan has some good books he is in your area i went to one of his classes last year found out I used to work for him it was a pretty large operation, I havnt purchased all of them yet but it has helped a great deal
  7. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

Another benefit of these threads is the information is up-to-date, not four or five years old.