Lawn care crew not up to par

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., May 16, 2004.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I Have 2 guys that have been working for 2 weeks now and they continue to miss things after i tell them to walk around the property and see if they missed things. I tell them that then they are fine for the day. then the $hit starts up again the next day. I have asked them why and they say that they are worried about not finishing all of them in the week. I told them dont worry about that. I also told them if they continue the probelms they can correct it on thier time i told them that on saturday so i will remind them on monday. Can you please help me with this or am i wrong, right????

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

sounds like you need to stress quality a lot more than quantity. Try not to say things like, "man this rain is going really hurt us getting things done." or "I hope that we can get these all done during the week." Stuff like that will make them worker faster and with less quality.
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it takes a lot of additional time up front, but you might consider walking through with them and pointing things out.

The problem with employees is not that they're not productive, its that it takes a lot of time to get them to see the things you see. Its a common complaint on this board, and a few have simply thrown in the towel on having employees. Still, many organizations have hundreds of employees, so it can be done.
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of them are just untrainable.Or lazy. If they haven't got the hang of it in 30 days of doing the same properties maybe its time to look for new workers.
  5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to consider a check list that each guy signs off on, will take a few extra minutes, but shouldn't have to be a permanent thing. Also I would be careful about threatening to have them fix the problem on their own time, not something you can enforce. That is unless they aren't too sharp, this can cause you legal problems down the road if one of them decides to turn you in to the labor department.
  6. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Let them know that you will never get finished in the week if you have to keep wasteing time double checking their work. And for every hour that you must go back on their work that is another hour added to working on Saturday.

They will do one of two things.

Take off never to be seen again or do the job right the first time.
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Ah, the joys of relying on help. Sometimes you have to set an example and fire the weak, just so the strong stay strong. That seems to always get the point across. Hitting their wallet tends to work also. ;)
  8. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

paponte what do you mean hit them where it hurts thier wallets? Pay deduction? Thanks to the rest of you guys for the help for this ongoing probelm with this crew.
  9. mjoaaa

mjoaaa LawnSite Member

Paponte --> In order to be a good employer you must understand a few things. Do not fire the weak so you can look big and bad and scare the strong. You train the weak to become stronger than your strong. This is how you become successfull and appreciated as an employer. If you have an employee that fails to meet your expectations, it is only because YOU failed to show them how to meet your expectations. You MUST remember at all times that if the employee fails, you failed 10 times worst.

It is our jobs as employers to teach our employees, spend time to train them, and understand them individual. When you do this and treat them with respect they deserve, you will be amazed at the productivity they can do for you.

Always use questions they can answer such as how do you think we can all these lawn done this week John? John will reply we can try staying out later, loading equipment better, streamlining paper work that we leave at door, or what ever. Then take there idea and make them in charge by saying something like John, I think that just might work, I am leaving you in charge to get it done. You will be susprised at how much an employee just wants to be heard and appreciated, and even apart of the decessions. I know when I am working somewhere I want to know I am wanted and that I matter.

Good Luck...
  10. bbone

bbone LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Hey I have guys miss stuff all the time. When I'm done I check the work they do and then if it's not done I do it myself. Pretty soon they appreciate me for the hard worker that I am and then it becomes an opportunity for the employee to make sure I don't have to get the trimmer or blower again. Remember they are working for you not slaving for you. Lead by example, never given me any problems yet. And I don't believe in pay deductions. You pay a worker what they are worth no more no less and if they outperform then you give them a reward.