Lawn care employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Jan 31, 2003.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

How do you guys work it out with winter for your employees. I was wondering if the just collected un-employment or if i should bank their over time hours in the summer? And how much should i pay for an un experianced employee? And should i take them with me to train them on cutting grass before they go off with other employees

Thanks you guys Jason

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck
    Bob

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

for me in regards to the winter time each employee has a certain number of snow removal customers. They get a percentage for the work that they do, not hourly. Because if they did hourly they wouldn't make anything.

Now during the summer months we start our newbies out a $7.75 and after two weeks of training they jump up to $8.00. The highest that an general lawn care operator can make for us is $8.50 without certification. Once they get certification they are raised to $9 to $10 an hour depending on experience.

For about 3 days the newbie stays at the office learning the ropes and being trained for about 3 to 5 hours per day, after that they are cut out into the field. Once the two weeks have gone by and they have learned the commerical mowers, trimmers, and blowers, they are raised to $8.00. If they haven't learned them I might keep them on for a lower wage or I might just let them go.

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to be mean but they jump to 8 bucks an hour? Top out at 10? Either you are employing people from the poorest trailer park, you remember the one that they do not even take the wheels off, or you have found a new way to take slum landlord into the labor pool. I bet there are alot of mac and cheese in your employee lunch boxes. :eek:

5. tiedeman

from earth

You have to remember that we live in different areas you in Florida and me in Michigan. There is a difference of price, location of the business(small city, larger city), etc.

6. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I pay my lawn guys $9/hr 1st year, then $11-12/hr depending on what they operate.

7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

We run a landscape crew too. That keeps me and my guy(s) almost busy.

8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate to say it but after they are qualified and ready to go you will pay them 10 dollars an hour. That is an amount that will keep both them and their families in poverty. Always hear about people that have a hard time finding quality people and keeping them, wonder why?

9. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Always remember that job qualifications are a big thing, some people cant make more than that my mother owns a plastic injection moldingg comp. and some of here factor workers top out at $9.50hr they sand parts. while some people that are more educated make 80-90 thousand a year. Also i am not racist but some imigrants work for 6-7 an hour here and they love it much more than they would make other places. But i want to see my employees succed. That is why i care about them they are the backbone to my company and i cant work without them. Thats the whole reasoning for this thread to see how it would be best for them. Just a note on how i view my employees.

10. tiedeman

from earth

my guys also have health insurance, paid vacation and sick days. Again, instead of just mouthing off, do some research you will find that different areas pay different amounts. If you are doctor in a small city you won't make as much as one in a larger city. Different states vary in taxes, unemployment, etc. You need to do the research some more. I might also add that I pay for their education as well.