Lawn Care Equipment recomendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eager Beaver, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver LawnSite Member

What length of landscaping trailer would you have purchased 16 0r 18 ft. Enclosed or open?Also I currently have a 60" ztr but am going to look into a walk behind. What sise do you primarily use? Belt or hydro drive ? I am thinking of a 36" to get threw gates into backyards etc or should I go with a 48". Any suggestions.I currently run a stump grinding business and am looking into expanding into lawn care to supplement the down time along with using this to be on site looking for stumps? We also run a snow removal business in the winter. This information would be greatly appreciated.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 42&quot; Walker GHS as my primary mower with a Toro 15hp Proline 44&quot; HYDRO with a Pro-Slide for side accounts, wet days and general backup. Its a great machine. I am a huge hydro fan for many reasons, SPEED #1, ease of use, lack of slippage in wet or moist weather. If you have any doubts have the dealer let you demo one for a day. <br>I like the 44&quot; deck and I would recommend one for you. I thought that I would need to fit thru gates but that hasn't been the case. I use a small lawn boy 21&quot; for the small gates and its not too bad. Don't buy a mower for one or two properties. I think Hustler mowers has a mower that is a 52&quot; but folds in on one end so it can fit thru a gate. They have a website also. (Hustlermowers.com I think)<br>I have a 14' trailer and at times wish it was 16 or 18 but I keep it in the garage at home so the 14 will have to do.<br>BTW, I'm not large scale 25 accounts in 2 days a week but the equipment is definately needed. Good Luck.

3. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Do you have a place to keep your equiptment?<br>If not maybe you might want to get an enclosed trailer. 14 to 16 foot should be good if you run a ztr and one walkbehind for two walkbehinds and a ztr go with an 18' trailer. A friend of mine has a spot for extra parts and blades. He also has a spot for a grinder to sharpen blades. Like was said if another post don't buy a mower for one or two jobs think of what will best suit you. We get through most gates with a 48&quot; mower. Sometimes we have to tilt it on its side with two guys but it works and saves us time. They also have mowers the fold up on one side to turn into a 36&quot; mower that might be for you. At any rate demo whatever you can and remember don't be a penny smart and a dollar stupid when it comes to buy equiptment it will cost you in the end. Good Luck Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance. :)

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

While we're talking about geting through gates, there's a great way to do this. I get mt 52 in. walk behind in gates way smaller. First, pull up to the gate and turn the mower sideways to the gate. On the side of the gate opening opposite to the gate itself, stick the side of the deck into the opening. Keeping the rear tire up against the post, put the post right between the wheel and the deck. then push the handlebars down to lift the deck up high enough that the front caster clears the other post as you pivot the mower. When you exit, do the same things but bring the mower out backwards. Note: You may have to start with mower going through gate entrance backwards. It takes a little muscling around but it works and gives you a whole lot more access.

5. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all of the advice. Trying to do our homework before purchasing the equipment. As far as edgers any suggestions and or recomendations? Currently thinking about a stick edger and/or the stihl with the interchangeable heads.Also push blowers for fall cleanups? The Exmark ztr has a vacume setup with a 8hp engine now.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Eager Beaver, If you're looking to buy 1 edger, make sure it's a walk behind type. The stick edgers are real handy for keeping up edging but lack the adequate power to do the initial edging in many cases. A good brand that is rather heavy duty is McClane. John Deere used this edger for many years as their own. DO NOT buy a McClane edger from a lawn shop though! You canfind these now at Home Depots now for up to about$70.00 cheaper.

7. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Try Little Wonder with the double wheel and double belts. A stick edgers great for curb lines and once you lay down that first edge. They suck when its wet out. You can also get a drop wheel kit for some wheel edgers to edge the curb line. Good Luck and choose wisely. :) Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance

8. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

The company that is making the 52&quot;/38&quot; that folds down is Great Dane not Hustler (sorry). As for the trailer I would go with the 20' enclosed or an 18' open trailer. You never know what equioment you might end up with. Also for the walkbehinds the hydros are alot better if you don't mind spending the exra money.