1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn care for sale...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by natewybenga, Nov 5, 2004.

1. natewybenga

natewybenga LawnSite Member

I am a 17 year old senior in high school. Next September I will be going away to college. However, I wish to keep my lawncare for that summer (of 2005). Do you think it is possible to sell a lawn care part way through the season (in September)? I have only 20 accounts, $8000-10,000 a year. What would be a good selling price, and how would I go about finding a buyer?
  2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Nate, i doubt that anyone will buy your company for 8-10 months. I'd keep the mowers at the most. But quite frankly, once you are in college, you will not wanna do this again. Trust me. I have been there and if you are serious about it, you will want to finish as soon as possible and take classes in the summer. Also, once you make friends there, it will not be "cool" to go back home and work for the whole summer while they go to Mexico for a few weeks.

If you really want to sell it, place an ad in the local paper. i see those all the time.

I'd convince my dad or a friend that is not going to college to do it while you decide to come back. good luck.
  3. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Before I went off to college, I sold my accounts for 2 weeks rev. It seemed fair at the time. Perhaps just ask around with the other lco in your area.

I graduated from college w/ a horticulture degree...back in business. I even have picked up a old customer that had moved and was in a different neighborhood. He said he remembered my name!