Lawn care franchise

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by turf dog, Oct 28, 2005.

1. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

I am starting this February and have been researching the business for about five months now. I have also been looking at all the different franchise opportunities out there. I have the capital to do one but I just can't see what I would get for the money spent plus paying royalties. I am missing something? Does anybody on here have a lawn doctor or U S lawn franchise?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's like a leased car or a rented home, it's just never quite yours.
    Far as profit, you'll need at least 3 outlets to earn a decent living, once you get to 10 or 12 stores, you'll be in the prime time news on occasion.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I can't speak for the other franchises but I am building my business with the thought of franchising in the future. I am doing it for two reasons first I think its the most profitable way to run a business having systems, guidelines, procedures that are set in stone. This way I am not depending on an expensive foreman. I can train anyone with no experience and as long as they are willing to follow directions I can be profitable with them. So even if I never sell a franchise it has value to me. For someone that might buy my franchise they would receive years of experience in best methods not only for production but also marketing and billing etc. It is a lot!!! of work I have been documenting things for over two years it is making by company run smoother and when I get a potential employee they feel like they are interviewing for a large company. When they come to work the first day and receive about 3-4 hours of training before they ever pick op a rake or trash barrel they get the picture that they are performing an important task and they see how it relates to the overall operation. They see a job with potential not just a paycheck so I get a better class of worker. When a client calls for a bid I have a system for how things are handled and when I follow it it works well. Both of the franchises you mention focus on commercial work as far as I know, my focus is on upscale residential. If you are good at following directions and are not the entrepreneurial type than a franchise might be right for you. If you are more creative and likely to tinker with the model it would probably be a waste of $$$. I would look at food industry franchises just to see what a mature franchise model looks like, lots of competition there. The green industry franchisees are very young and if you just shop the two I don't think you have enough to compare. Also talk to other franchisees in any industry see what thy are missing and then you have something to compare to Where are you located? I would like to talk more and discuss my model with you and get your feed back as a person shopping for a franchise. You can E-mail me atazgardener@netzero.net

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Not something I would ever do however you forgot a big one Scott's I can say this when I looked that one up the guy in my state has it made. One location and has rights to the entire state if I had known and had the money that would have probably been a good choice.