1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Care Franchise

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by ztrguy, Jan 12, 2007.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Does anyone own a lawn care franchise? Wanting to grow my business fast and was considering buying a lawn care franchise. I'm not wanting ChemLawn or anything like that. Mainly a lawn mowing franchise. Anyone have experience in owning or knowing someone that owns a lawn care franchise? If so, I would love to hear your experience or thoughts on this. Thanks!
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The best way to get information quick is to use the search feature here.

This topic has been discussed at length and some of the contributors seriously shopped franchises, most on site 98% don't like the idea. I on the other hand am building a franchise model but mine is for a full service residential gardening service for upscale clientele.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

US Lawns does a ton of commerical properties near me, and some large condo projects I've seen. They employ all hispanics and do pretty good work from what I have seen.
  4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry for jacking the thread a little in advance but isn't it funny how they Throw the US in their and have all mexicans. Just an observation.
  5. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I just found out that my bank kicked their previous mowing and landscape contractors to the kirb, hired a US LAWNS here. US LAWNS is in turn subbing out the work. Go figure. They must be subbing to low-ballers or something.

As for franchising, I cannot see paying their headquarters a fee or fees for system and so called fleet price advantages, when I can develope and write a system for the business, and get it built up and negotiate with my dealers.

That is a lot of money out of pocket if you either know what you are doing or are a quick or decent learner.

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The issues I see with franchising is that your company's reputation is affected by all other franchises. You have very little control over operations and procedures due to franchising.

The advantages are that you can rely on the development of the entire franchise (if that is good) and you have a "made to order" operations procedure. The headaches are much smaller.
  7. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I can't find a good enough reason to franchise. All equipment is readily available, If your just mowing you can learn how to do good work quickly and sites like this provide learning tools for running the business. Besides a franchise never truly is yours, which is why many of us do this in the first place. Oh nad don't forget franchise fees. That's what I want to do, work 10 hours in the heat and give 20% to some dummy in Illinios. Sign me up!!!
  8. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Thanks for all the replies. Do you think you can grow your business faster if you buy a franchise? It just seems like most small businesses grow slowly so maybe if you owned a franchise you could increase profits faster.
  9. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well ztrguy I am not sure where in ok you are, but I know that there is a us lawns in the northern okc/edmond area, see them all the time.
  10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what I think. It depends on you. If you want to operate with a system and want to do it well and quickly then this is what I would do. I say this because 3 years into this I am starting to operate with a system for growth, so I can see looking back what would have happened if I had developed a system first.

I will also say this. If you have your OWN SYSTEM in place, and you find that something is not just the way you want it, just change it, no big deal.

If you have a franchise and have invested all of that money and want to change the system you will kiss your franchise and your money goodbye!!!!!!!

First: Work on putting together your system now before getting started. handbooks, safety procedures, SOP's employee complain channels, and every concievable necessary evil and cover it. Cover job descriptions, and how managers manage. Cover your legal backside. Create your plan, projections, how you will get accounts, get your software in place for tracking everything and job costing. Also decide how long you will have equipment before you cycle the pieces out.

The go after it. Do all of this now in the winter so you can be out producing money when the sun shines.

If you need assistance with this, buy Sean's package that will give you a head start, and then modify it to FIT your business model. Then take the last few threads on starting a business, hitting the million dollar mark or what ever that thread is, marketing, newsletters, door hangers, and sift through that information copy (ctrl-C) what you like and create word documents (Cntrl-V) on your computer for fast reference and use that information to THINK THROUGH the things you need to do, to make your decisions.