Lawn Care Franchises

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LawnMower38, Jul 14, 2006.

1. LawnMower38

LawnMower38 LawnSite Member

:confused: Is anyone here an owner of a lawn care franchise?
    I have been looking at the lawn care industry and wanted to get some feedback.
    I have visited they have 4 different lawn care franchise brands. Wanted to know if anyone has information on Lawn Doctor Franchise or Natural Lawn of America?
    Do they offer good franchise support in the US? Please provide me with feedback on these concepts.
  2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I see Jims mowing every day ( the worlds biggest mowing franchese) the people that leave that i have spoken to say the biggest problem is the ongoing fees and the fact you do not own the business, or have any say in how it is run and its not your name on the trailer, no control over advertising etc.... the plus is you come under a brand awareness company and you are trading under that awareness etc trainings nothing you can get training from any business you buy.......

Whats the best way to get into this industry ? in my view buy a small to medium size company and build it up over time, by buying a medium size company you should be able to cope and learn at youir own pace......

Whats the worst way to start ? depends on your area but i would say starting from scratch it can take for ever to build it up and you are most likely to fail before you get there.......any way $60-$ 100 thousands a lot of money you could have your own business for a lot less ...any way good luck in whatever way you decide to go.......Oh and by the way a lot of people commit to a franchese and then find out they do not like the industry:cry:
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Do a search on franchises and I'm sure you will find lots of info. just earlier this week there was a thread "Jims leaves usa" that evolved into a franchise discussion. or you can click on mine or sangophers name in the corner then go to previous posts to get to it.
  4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

do a search on "us lawns" also
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Search Brickman as well.
  6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Cikey! thats it in a nutshell. Franchises suck. (thats how I put it)
  7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Make ya a smokin deal, give me only 15 thousand of your hard earned bucks and I will tell you the same things they will. This is a bargin considering they will charge you about 30 thousand and up, examples include, buy a new truck, waste more and more money to learn stuff that any junior college could teach you or you could obtain at your leisure for FREE on ;) oppps...think I gave away too much already, I take cash only. Seriously the real winners are the guys strating the franchises. You go belly up they don't care. The pressure is really on you, I admit I had even considered sellling franchises at one point because its more profitable to be the backbone of the network and not have to deal with repalcing employees, dealing direct with PITAs and so forth. Junked it htough due to the prevailing attitude towards franchises you have already read.
  8. LawnMower38

LawnMower38 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your feedback. I will take your advice into consideration as I make this business decision. I will keep on checking for additional replies.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You said it best right there: You go belly up, they don't care!
    I've even watched it happen to people, kinda sad and funny at the same time.
  10. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Why buy somebody else's name; when this biz is one of the easiest to start on your own?

This site will get you farther than any franchise help..... for free.