Lawn care gift certificates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EvandSeby, Jul 28, 2003.

1. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

Does anyone out there sell gift certificates for their services around the holidays? I have thought about trying it to generate some income during the slow season. Work would be completed before the busy season starts in April. Also I would like to know how any of you are doing upselling services(i.e. face to face contacts, flyers, etc.) Thank you in advance!

2. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

That is an excellent idea - weather it will work is another story! You might try bouncing the idea off some of your current clients - some may have a good use for this type service (older parents, grandparents). What do you have to loose?

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

It may work for you.

I tried pushing gift certificates for some 5 years. Every month in the company news letter. I pushed them for Birthdays, Anniversaries, Father's Day, Mother's Day, just about any reason I could think of. Offered them in any denomination they wanted.

I sold " 0 "

That's OK,

I do something else every year, sometimes twice a year. I do a raffle only for residential customers. Send a blank coupon, they fill out there name, # and address. Send it back to me. As long as they had a " 0 " balance at the time of drawing they were eligable. Prizes were just about anything. A year of FREE lawn apps. A year of FREE weekly maintenance. A month FREE Maintenance. FREE cleanup. FREE Shrub Trimming. FREE bulb planting. FREE Annuals.................and so on.

If it was a BIG prize then only one winner. If I was giving say a FREE month of maintenance (4 weeks) then I would have second prize of 2 weeks and a third of 1 week.

My customers love it. So do I, get 90% of the checks in within 10 days or so.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have sold some landscaping certificates for birthdays but im not trying to push them hard. Someone asked me what to get someone for their birthday and i just happen to mention a gift certificate for some landscaping services. right place at the right time i guess.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you decide to give away or sell "Prizes" make sure that you include limits such as time and size.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Last Christmas I had a man contact me about buying a gift certificate for a years worth of mowing for his newly widowed mom for christmas. Was nice to get a 1200.00 checkin late December when money is no longer flowing in. The downside.....that money was spent a long time ago...now I feel like ive been cutting the lawn for free all year:dizzy:
    Also had someone contact me this spring to for a gift certifate good for 10 cuts for his dads Birthday. this is the first year Ive ever even had the request.

7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Yeah, I know what your saying Richard. And we do have limits accordingly.

I have GREAT customers, so I give back a little. But like I said above, had to have a "0" balance at the time of drawing.