Lawn care has to be in the top 10 for competetiveness (is that a word?)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Mar 10, 2004.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial jobs are getting so competitive it's ridiculous, I'm beginning to wonder if I should waste so much time doing estimates for commercial or focus most of time on residential. I'm figuring out that probably 90% are after lowest price rather then quality. Whenever I talk to the person in charge I ask why they are switching and everytime it's "oh, the current guy has been doing a good job were just looking for a lower rate" And when I find out what they are paying it's usually well under what I could do it for. So even if I do come in with the lowest bid (doubtfull) theres a good chance I will be replaced next year, which then I will need to find additional work to cut the loss. Thinking about doing phone interviews before I waste half a day on 1 estimate when I could have passed out a few hundred flyers instead. VENTING!! ARGGGG:angry: :angry:
  2. lawn8646

lawn8646 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Residentials are the same though, they say you have been great but so and so will do it for ten dollars less. No matter what market you are after (commercial or residential) people will always go for the lower price. Believe me I feel your pain. Last week two quit over five dollars a month and thats in a golf community where they spend five dollars everyday of the week at the lunch counter. My best advice is diversify. Do as many different things as possible because sooner or later people who pay for lawn care will pay for some other service also.
  3. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is just one of the reason I don't get to deep in to commercial properties. I have found that payment is always slow, and that competition for these accounts is always large. People go out of their way to accumulate commercial business. As far as I'm concerned they can have them. If I get the opportunity, I always bid. But I stick to my guns and I do not budge on price. My commercial experiences have been annoying to say the least. That is why I am happy to be mostly residential.
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++Residentials are the same though, they say you have been great but so and so will do it for ten dollars less.++++

You've just got to sell yourself. Last Friday I got a lady to sign up for weekly service at $30.97 per cut and she didn't even like my skip policy. But she signed on anyway. She had been paying $25.00 per cut with no sales tax, but it was guesswork trying to figure out if he'd show or not.

She was willing to pay a lot more for dependable service.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Where does the .97 cents come in btw...why not just round it off?
  6. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

It's my marketing ploy this year. I just add 97 cents to every price I quote. So far, it's worked like a charm. When people see $30.97, they see thirty bucks. If you get an extra buck per cut per customer all year, it can add up.

DFW Area Landscaper
  7. noiseyvoyzey

noiseyvoyzey LawnSite Member

I like that one :)
  8. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

Lawn care might be in the top ten, but it isn't #1. I know farmers who will rent a farm just to say "I farm X,XXX of acres." And they are farming it for a major loss!! :eek:

But I would have to say every industry you get into, there is a fight for low cost. Very few companies have a niche in which they can charge whatever they want and still get business (John Deere and Microsoft are a few, but even they get into low cost wars with other companies).
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

gentlemen.. manufacturing is leaving this country in droves headed south an to china.. many many of those that will lose their jobs in the states will go anywhere an do any kind of work to hold their head above water..i fear as tough and capable as the us workers have been thru the years.. this will just change to much for them..
    hmm. lets see something similar happened to the native americans a few ytrs ago i think..they lost their whole way of life..if u disaggree ,,i hope to hell u are rite.. but dont think so.jmo
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Companies are cutting their expenses right now, squeezing employees for more production at less pay. Obviously lawn care has become one of those expenses.