1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Care Industry Basics

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by plynch, Oct 13, 2005.

1. plynch

plynch LawnSite Member

I am currently doing a research paper on organic vs. traditional lawn care methods. Can anyone shed light on some general industry trends and what the pros and cons are for each method of lawn care? Anyone out there who offers chemical based methods of weed and pest control and fertilizers who is thinking of making the move to organic? Any comments are very much appreciated!
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is an easy one...Basically you write two sentences.
    There is no such thing as "organic". Everything is "organic" if you want to sell it as that.

I can sell an "organic" program and use 2-4D., Dicamba, and all sorts of other pesticides. There is nothing wrong with this, because as long as these ingredients contain a carbon element (which they do), it is all perfectly honest.
  3. turtle

turtle LawnSite Member

Get in contact with the Northeast Organic Farmers Association. This is one of their big things
  4. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

Anywhere you have people willing to pay more for "organic" food you have a market for organic lawn care. Many of these people want to get away from using synthetic products formulated by some faceless corporation. These are the folks who pay top dollar for veggies at the farm markets rather than grow their own. There are plenty in my town. An organic label suits me fine for several reasons. I don't need to be licensed to handle dangerous chemicals. Organic methods tend to be more labor intensive, so I make more money rather than DuPont taking their cut. My fertilizer (compost) costs nothing. Organic methods take time, so I develop a longer relationship with the client than a one-off spraying. Synthetic fertilizers use precious fossil fuels. I get to charge a little premium for calling myself organic and handing off real problem jobs like poison ivy or creeping charlie to someone with chemicals.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'll start doing that - calling my program organic, so I can charge higher prices. I wouldn't have to change a thing but the prices! This could work out! :) payup