Lawn Care Industry Books

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JGroverCU, Feb 15, 2007.

1. JGroverCU

JGroverCU LawnSite Member

I know this is a common question and I have searched for results, but what are some good books to help learn scientific names and identification for trees, shrubs, ornamental grasses, and grasses?
    I have Dirr's books.
    I would also like to know of some good books on chemical applications.
  2. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

The southern living garden book has over 7000 plants in it and ortho has a good book on pest and problems and what to use to get rid of them
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah the Ortho Problem Solver is a must have book for anyone in this line of work.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

For online reading:

As far as printed books:
    Turfgrass Science and Management (Robert Emmons)
    Turf Management in the Transition zone (Dunn, Diesburg) only if you are in the trans. zone.
    Professional Landscape Management (Hensley)
    Turfgrass Agronomy (Waddington, Carrow, Shearman)

I have several others as well, not as "advanced" as these first 4 I mentioned, such as the Ortho garden problem solver, Rodale's Landscape Problem Solver, Horticulture Gardeners Desk reference, as well as several books on plants.

Years ago I actually read most all of these books! Now, with the internet, it's MUCH faster, and I can get more accurite information and better pictures than I ever could with books.. Would need a whole librarary here to have 1/100th of the info that I can find online.