Lawn Care Industry Improvments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Landscaping, May 14, 2004.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

Lots of equipment manufactures watch this site and I think it’s time to give them a few suggestions. One issue that I feel is in dire need addressing is the need for alternative fuel options installed in mowers and trucks. Landscapers use an ample amount of gas and with gas rising to three dollars during the summer, we as an industry should push the equipment manufactures to create mowers, trucks, trimmers, etc. with alternative fuel engines in them. I don’t want to wait for the all the oil to dry up to act. Another issue is noise. I’m pretty sure that my customers don’t like having to be disrupted because this loud mower is mowing in their or next to their house. I would love to operate a mower quietly without ear protection safely. Other features that would be appealing on lawn mowers would be a deck that has a special solution that prevents grass from sticking to the mower, an electronic deck lift, and maybe someday, a commercial robotic mower that practically eliminates a company’s labor cost. Please reply with your ideas.

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a electric mower that will solve you gas and noise problems

3. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

No, I'm not talking about a weak 21" plug-in mower. I'm talking about a nice John Deere 757 that takes soy bio-diesel and runs smooth without all the noise. It's not a problem for me, but i think the industry on the whole.

4. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I LOVE THE NOISE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

whew Im better sorry

5. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Any one for fly-by-wire?

6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

You might be able to quit the engine down some, but have you ever heard the sound of the deck on a Dixie Chopper with double blades?

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Be careful what you wish for. You'll be without a job. As a side note several Universities are experimenting with bio-engineered grass that grows so slowly that it only needs cutting once or twice a year.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Grassmechanic, being from your end of Michigan I am sure you know more than one or two people whos assembly line job has been replaced by a robot or machine.
    I often thought of the quieter exhaust also but concede that the gearing, belts, and blades produce quite a bit of nice noise when working. I got to see EricELMs Dixie Chopper which was a diesel with the doubles and it does sound like a Blackhawk helicopter when spinning.

I'm thinking about natural lawncare. Gonna buy a trailer full of goats and strap crap bags on them to collect the fertilizer.
    Seriously, its a good topic and I am sure that eventually these companys will be pioneering new equipment. I have my own ideas but they are patented.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What is soy bio-deisel? and where will we get it? I dont really beleive for a second that fuel is short on supply. If it was, dont you think the auto makers would be pushing electric cars? And not just the ones the government helps pay for to make the "far left wing radical nutcases" happy.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Bio-diesel is a mix of diesel fuel and soybean oil. Very little, if any mods are needed to use it in most currently available diesel engines. Unfortunately, there is not enough land on the planet to grow the soybeans needed to meet fuel consumption demands.