Lawn Care Sales

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tremor, Sep 24, 2001.

1. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I sell supplies to Lawn Care Operators & Tree Care Companies in the northern suburbs of NYC,NJ,CT, and So.Mass.

Between the slow down on Wall Street, and the more obvious issue in Manhattan and Washington, some of my customers are reporting a slow down in big ticket sales. These include Tree pruning, cabling, etc, as well as large scale turf renovations and landscape plantings.

Not everyone is complaining. Perhaps it's just those who cater to the pulses of Wall St. But I can't put my finger on the theme (if there is one) to the trend. Maybe some are riding on allready sold work that they're still getting caught up on. It's possible these folks haven't noticed a slow down in sales because their hands are still busy.

Is anyone else out here experiencing a significant slowdown? If so, what are your plans?

This forum would be a great place to share ideas to enhance sales and ensure that we are as "recession proof" an indusrty as possible.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I think you have a good topic but its in the wrong forum. Contact a moderator or Eric ELM and have him move it.

I personally have not noticed a slowdown here. People are watching what is happening but I am still as busy as last year if not a little busier. I'm still spending the money also.

What will come of next year is anyones guess but lawns will still grow. The add-ons and landscaping end might suffer but thats not a definate either.

3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Good post. I find the phone to be my best selling tool for existing customers. When work gets slow I'll call to say "hows it going- is there anything else we can do for you?" Most of our new "event customers" come from referrals, but when were looking to expand an area (neighborhood) I find simply talking to the neighbors to be effective. Everybody wants to know what your doing. They all want advice. When they take the time to talk to you, you have the opportunity to let them know what you can do for them and hopefully service several customers at one stop. Only about 10% of the homes are serviced by LCO which leaves a lot of room for growth. Just works for us. May not be right for everyone. PS We don't elephant hunt, we shoot a lot of rabbits.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rabbit is taste meat and jumps right out of the bushes. I also do a lot of Jawjacking with my customers and there nieghbors. I have a lot of Wall St. depended customers and have not seen a slow down Yet!!! However I also run a Help wanted add all the time. I am getting a lot more people applying now. Do forget Craftman The machine of choice at the grass cutter hall of fame