Lawn care service in Arizona?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by C2CXJR, Aug 7, 2006.

1. C2CXJR

C2CXJR LawnSite Member

Hello everybody, I'm new to this site and have a few questions for folks who are a little more experienced in Lawn Care. Let me start off by saying that I'm 19 years old and am currently employed in the law enforcement field for my County Sheriff. That is where my main income comes from. Anyway, I have been mowing my parents lawn since I was 12 and have always enjoyed making the lawn look nice when I was finished. I also have a strong desire to own my own business, and I thought lawn care might be an excellent way to do it. My goal is a single man operation. What really peaked my interest though is that recently my parents have hired a lawn care professional to mow their lawn (I can't do it any longer because of my weird work schedule). He charges $35 per week and honestly does not do a good job in my opinion

I do have a few questions though before I dive much further into research

1) Do any of you work in Arizona? There are quite afew lawns that could be cut, and also quite abit of desert landscaping.

2) If you do work in AZ, how much competition is there? There seems to be quite abit, but I feel that offering a proffesional image and service could get me a long way.

3) I don't have a business plan in place yet, but is there potential for profit?

4) Are commercial contracts feasible with a single man operation?

I appreciate your help!

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You should just go into desert landscaping(of course after completing landscape courses). I saw on HGTV where those rich people will pay a fortune for that type work.
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have been here in the valley since 1979 mostly working in the green industry. There is a lot of competition but as you have noticed not much of it good. The profit potential is good in the right market. I don't know if a solo operator in the mow and go market could make much more than gas money. Commercial work besides being a hassle, slow pay, lower hourly wage etc., is going to be a tough nut to crack as a solo. Possibly some subcontract work for bigger companies if you have contacts and large mowing equipment.

I specialize in high end residential work PV, Camelback Mtn. Arcadia, Central Phx. and a pocket of work @ 67th ave and T-Bird. Maybe close to your neighborhood. Give me a call at 602-750-0574 I will answer any more questions. BTW there is a horticultural conference this Friday once a year thing locally, good chance to educate yourself. It is put on by the Arizona Nurseryman's Association. There is a trac on turf care.