Lawn Care /snow Removal

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TOTALLAWN OF KY, Oct 15, 2004.

1. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

HEY ALL i have 3 seasons under my belt treating lawns for my self.The last two seasons i have worked a winter job... I hate that but its what it took well this year i ran across a snow plow and salt spreader for 300.. bucks which i bought ...well now i have 4 plow accounts ;) ;) and going at it slow not to get to much. has any one tried this to make some cash during winter??
    any suggestions?? of reason . i live in ky so we get a bunch of snow at times .i have my prices and contracts etc...I like this site alot an have been hhere for 2 seasons so please positive feed :cool2: :cool2: back no ridacule thanks guys

2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

You get snow there in KY, I didnt relize that. Anyway....I plow and have been for 15years now.

Ive done both res & com. They dont seem to mix well, I prefer res by far. I feel theres more money in it, but I am sure you will find guys that will not feel that way.

I do 46 driveways and one small lot. All in my home town, most are within 4 miles. I have 16 one one street 12 in a row on one side. So my route is tight

Some prepay in november, most are billed per inch. I can share with you how I do this if you want to email me. Anyways my avg for a 3-6 inch storm is a little over $1k.
    Not counting the people that prepay. I collect $2500.00 per year in prepays. Mostly common driveways.

Some winters are good, some bad. My best was 95-96 I did over $40k and my worst was just a few years ago, maybe 5k. I enjy doing it, I really like late night plowing, very peacefull.

It can be tough if you want to travel in winter, gotta find good people you can help you when your in trouble, like getting stuck, I have a group of 5 guys that Im friends with and we help eachother, with covering for vaca or truck problems.

Okay now I do everything by the book, I claim all income, i have insurance that covers plow damage. I once took out a main power box that fed power to a group of houses ( common drive ) of course I didnt know I hit it, and one house people where on vaca and they lost $2,500 worth of meat in there freezer, just got there order in for the year, and had their pipes freeze in the garage. My insurance covered it, if I didnt have that coverage I would have been sued by their homeowners insurance.

I know you didnt want to hear that, because you only wanted positive feed back, but I couldnt resist.

3. TOTALLAWN OF KY

Wow thats what i wanted to hear pros and cons .This site is great but from time to time it gets a little cocky and ridicule flys.lol i do have a million dollar fert/spray policy ,i will check on snow removal as well to cover my arce .

4. TOTALLAWN OF KY

and by the way your site kics but any chance you may help me to get my own site as well???

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. Maybe James can let us know who his webmaster is. If it is you, James, maybe your in the wrong biz.

6. James Cormier

from Ma

I will post my webmasters email address on Monday morning, my site was from a templete and I just added the info. He lives in my town but I sure he can do it for anyone. I email all the info and photos to him.

I cant remember what the site cost to build, I think in was around 600, and I think I spend 29 month to have it hosted, and 200 a year for him to update it and change things around.

7. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I am on the seacoast of New Hampshire. Before this season, I have only plowed commercial at an hourly rate.

Can you tell me the average pricing you get for a residential driveway? Minimums, etc.

I appreciate it!

Lawnchoice

8. James Cormier

from Ma

Here's how I price plowing

3-6" $x.00
    7-10" $x.00
    11-13 $x.00
    14-16 $x.00
    17-over $X.00

Most of my driveways are all priced the same, I do some really long common driveways so they are priced higher but 38 driveways are all the same. So the 3-6 is $28.00 then it goes up $8.00 per increase up to 16, the over 17 price is not set in stone, because we have had some storms over 25" several in a row, and those storms I add on to the bill. Most people under stand that.

On a perfect storm where I can get everyone done with one push, takes me around 5-6 hours, I have 3 common driveways that prepay me $1700.00each in november, and one small lot. Some winters I make out on the prepays some they do, but I like that 5k just before christmas, or I should say my girls like that.
    Now the lot that I do I get 125 each time I drop the blade, It takes me around 45-60min to do that as long as theres no cars around. On big storms I have a buddy that helps me with the lot, or he does the whole thing if I get behind.

9. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

James,

Sounds pretty much very like how I am setup. I only have 20 driveways currently, but am sure to get some more before the snow falls. Everything I have is in my town with the exception of a restaurant I do that is 4 miles away. Thanks for giving me the account amount as I feel I can get up over 30 and not be too swamped.

Thanks for the info - very helpful.

Lawnchoice

10. James Cormier

from Ma

grow them tight and take care of them, The only reason I make good money doing this is cause I dont travel at all,

as far a commercial, I think the real money is in sanding, my father-in-law and brother-in-law do all commercial lots, he uses 5 subs to help with all his lots and travels all over the place, some are 15 miles apart ( which can seem like 100miles in a big storm ) but he makes a killing on sanding, then charges a small foturne on sweeping come spring.

Most res. dont want sand spread on there drive way cause it tracks into the house, Ive sold some ice melt apps, but I havent found a really good product that spreads easily. Plus I dont get out of my truck anymore, if they want shoveling, they gotta get someone else.