lawn care success letters

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by David Shaw, Nov 13, 2002.

1. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

Okay I bought the Lawn Care Success direct mail letter templates. Now what is the cheapest way to go about direct mailing. i checked out a couple of list suppliers on line. Seems like everyone wants $250.00 minimum. Is there a cheaper way to compile a list. Thanks Dave

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

www.anywho.com

type in the street you want and put " ** " in the box for the name of the owner. This will give you the name of every owner of the houses on that street.(as of when they updated their data)

3. David Shaw

I have used anywho before. But I didn't know I could do THAT. Pretty slick, Thanks Dave:D :D

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave, how many mailings does $250 get you?

or is $250 just for the list?

because if it's just a list then by the time postage is factored in that could be expensive. unless you walk them.

couldn't you just mail them by zip code? i know thats less targeted but would be cheaper per flyer.

5. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Jason,
    That site site is nice, but it does not give the true mailing ( PO box, primary home) address, which could lead to many returned mailings and wasted money on stamps.

Nice info though...thanks

Chris

6. you can build a list with anywho but you don't get addresses for unpublished phones.
    Check your county assessor records for address and owner on every property. Many are on line.
    Cole Directory at library. Has all addresses and other information

7. David Shaw

$250.00 just gets you a list as I understand it. I believe it was 1000 names. But in the neighborhoods I want to target there isn't any 1000 homes. So it is kinda a waste I think.Dave

8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

David,

Find some more neighborhoods. Most likely, you wont get very many calls from less than 1000 pieces. I have talked to many current and ex LCOs and they all say its a numbers game. The co with the most numbers wins

9. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You need to get out more than 1000 letters, it needs to be more like 10,000 letters.:)

10. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

See if you can put a flyer in the local newspaper. I recently put in 2,000 fliers in one of the local papers and it only cost $40.00 per thousand to insert, and about $50.00 to make the fliers. This was for fall cleanups, and those 2000 fliers generated about 25 calls which I think is a good amount.